DDTS-100 for front end of GC-based HT system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
:D

Seriously though, the quality of the creative DACs isn't any good anyway - the Audigy2 ZS has the same DACs and is just passable for music, and is OK for movies. I would think even a cheap receiver may even be a better choice than the Creative, as long as it has a discrete output.

I already have this TD7700 kit which includes T7700 speakers and the DDTS-100. But im planning on making new speakers and few GC's to power them up. But the connections in the DDTD-100 are a bit suspicious as they are not separate for each channel. Theyre separated into three connection which i cant remember now. I'll check them out at home and post them when i get home.
The overall sound even with the creative speakers is ok...but not ok enough for music listening.
If anyone gets to the initiative of planning a DAC mod to it, im in, but maybe i wont do so for few months, until the warranty expires:)

Whats that I2S? Ill crack mine open if necessary:)

Assuming it uses much of the same (or similar) technology as their soundcards, you may well find that when tested at the 19kHz. sample/playbabck rate noise and distortion increase over when tested at 92kHz. This is form reviews using RMA loop back tests. I repeated the test on my own Audigy a year or so afgo and got a similar result. Iread that the reason is that 192KHz sampling/playback was achieved by software rather than hardware. I'm not sure what this means, but hopefully someone on the forum does.

Anyway, it suggests that when ou look into the DDTS-100, you may want to kleep your expectations realistic.

Anyway, the RMAA distortion results at 92kHz tended to around .003 .002 %, but the noise floor was pretty high for hardcore audiophiles -- neighboorhood of 80dB.

A further note from my experience with the soundcard which MAY apply to this device as well. It has a problem driving an input impredance below 20k-30k ohms. It works with 10K alright but the distortion shoots up. I found this out when trying to put a power amp into the RMAA loop back test. I thought I had done something terrible with the amp. It took me a couple of days to mfigure out the the high distortion was originating in the Audigy rather than the amp.

So one mod you might tink about right off the bat is some kind of output buffer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.