chassis construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been exploring chasis options for an external crossover. My best idea so far is to go over to mouser.com, and buy a hammond aluminum enclosure, and drill some holes in it. Its gonna be time consuming to make your own, although probably not to hard if you can find some tools or a good shop.

No offense, but those Hammond's looked crappy to me, like cast-away junk for the diyer. I looked at pics of them and thought why doesn't someone make a real chassis that looks nice?

To make my chassis, I bought a used Schroff enclosure, or bought broken/nonworking items on ebay for cheap. Or else you can try a junk shop and come up with something better than Hammond. My Chipamp is a broken Kyocera CD player (bought for $20 on ebay) with a new front panel from www.frontpanelexpress.com.

You are on the right track. The chassis is usually the most difficult and most expensive part of the project, right up there with the heatsinks and xformers.

And what about cooling, Nuuk ? In this case amp will have feeling like baked beef in oven...

I wouldn't know about that - I am a veggie! :D

For a single channel GC, you can add a small heatsink at the rear and it will work fine. That's how my original GC's are set up and they run cool.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But soon it will be possible to purchase aluminium pods through (but not from) DD. And it should be possible to run two channels of GC bolted to either side of a metal bar that is positioned inside the tube, with the tube acting as heatsink.

For class-T amps and DACs, there is no heat problem. :att'n:

theChris said:
what are some chassis's you've used?

Built yourself?

pics?

Costly?

Time consuming?
DIY Amp Chassis and costings:
http://www.vikash.info/audio/gainclone02/chassis.asp
http://www.vikash.info/audio/tatca/

A very useful thread if you decide to have a stab at a DIY chassis:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38200&highlight=

And Peter Daniel is the king of making innovative DIY chassis. Have a search for his stuff if you're ever short of inspiration...

Check your local scrap yard! You can often find things there that can be used. I found a cell telephone antenna diversity amplifier in a very nice aluminum case and bought it for $1 per lb. I think I paid about $20. They had at least 20 of them stacked on a pallet- I wish I had bought all they had...

The side walls are 1/4" thick aluminum. The bottom plate (well, I use it for the bottom) is 1/8" thick, and the top side is a 3/8" plate covered with fins.

Here's a before photo...

I_F

Attachments

• box in original condition.jpg
    box in original condition.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 783
Here's an "after" photo.

Yeah, I know. I not particularly talented in the finishing dept...

I used some of the holes that were already in the box, filled some with bondo, and drilled a few of my own. It now contains an LM3886 amplifier that runs about 30W per channel.

I_F

Attachments

• front view finished amp.jpg
    front view finished amp.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 772
We have an outlet called "The Reverse Garbage Shop" - sells offcuts and industry scrap etc. I picked up 3 solid aluminium cases 2U high and 18" x 18" They were some sort of router complete with boards and SMPS supplies Total cost $8 :clown: Just have to manufature a front panel of sorts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.