gainclone humpty chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am currently putting together my own DIY gainclone. What always amazed me about the original gaincard (apart fromt the engineering) was the brilliant industrial design.
I would very much like to house my power supply in a milled aluminum tube similar to the original humpty. Has anyone come across a supplier of aluminum tubes (anodized or otherwise) that have a similer appearance to the 47 labs humpty ie actual aluminum not plastic
Thanks

neil_kaye, what i do often is go to several (design)shops and look for biscuit or other food storage cans. Sometimes i see alsoo tube forms.

Cheep and nice looking. You only have to take your time to go to many shops, warehouses and bazaars.

Succes.

you can get it done with a batch from a local custom car place or something. look it up in the yellow pages. i dont think there is an on line anodizing service (yet)

unless it is for cosmetic reasons (like you want it to be black) you dont really need to have it anodized. aluminium forms a hard surface just by being exposed to air. and it is not going to get hardly any wear or be exposed to the elements. especially a power supply which doesnt even have any controls.

Peter Daniel has a pic somewhere of a preamp he made in the 70s (?) and it looks very nice. it was not anodized or anything.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.