Quick LM4780 Transformer Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking of using a 330VA 25V+25V toroidal transformer (specifically part number 122-640 from Parts Express) for a pair of parallel LM4780's. After looking at the datasheet for the chips for a while, this seems to be right on the edge of what the chips would handle. I will be driving a 7.5+/-3 ohm speaker off of each parallel chip, and I was wondering if anyone had any comments or suggestions as to whether the rectified voltage of this transformer (which would be ~35V according to my math) is too high or if the chips can take it.

If anybody has suggestions or comments, they would be greatly appreciated! You guys have obviously had a pretty good amount of experience with these chips, so before I jumped in I figured I would ask.

Thanks!

PS The reason I ask is because everybody seems to be suggesting 22V transformers, but the power on the 22V they have at PE is only rated at 160VA, which I thought was a little low. So, if anyone has suggestions as to where to get a reasonably priced 22V transformer rated at something a little more reasonable, I would also appreciate that! :)

we should qualify that -- you will be "fine" as long as the thermal impedance of the heat sink is low enough -- use the Overture Series interactive design tool to calculate the thermal impedance (C/W) , then go to the AavidThermalloy website and use their interactive calculator to see whether the heat sink is actually big enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.