Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2005, 06:49 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carlosfm
Rudi, what does 'GECO AUDIO' means?
Hi Carlos thanks for joining us.

I have lots of little gecko's around our house so i played with the word a bit - so it ended up with a variation of deco and gecko.

see i am actually a architect and i do not know much about the laws of electronics. just how to make them sound better.
Old 6th December 2005, 06:51 PM   #22
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I suspect I'm of the bass loving types... my dad was a drummer for 25 years, and one of my my first memories is crawling up and going to sleep on the cushion he packed in the bassdrum bottom to damp it.

Geckos are little lizzards, that can hang on rocks and walls.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th December 2005, 06:53 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by t.
This will probably be my last chipamp project after a few more mods to this one, I'm going to try the Hypex classD modules next
Leo, I know you are a 'hardcore' diyer and you don't need kits or available PCBs to build something.
Before you go on switching your outputs [joke], give this a try.
I don't know if I'm still on time, you are the one who knows what you wanna do next, but I guarantee you very, very rewarding results.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cfm amp_pre.zip (46.1 KB, 1142 views)
Old 6th December 2005, 06:56 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by rudi
I have lots of little gecko's around our house so i played with the word a bit - so it ended up with a variation of deco and gecko.
But what is a 'gecko'?
What does that mean?

Sorry to bother you with this.

Edit: I see. Thanks, Nordic.
Old 6th December 2005, 06:58 PM   #25
t. is offline t.  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

And what is your reference when you compare those two types of diodes (by saying one adds, the other does not)?
Hi Peter,

In this amp the Mur860's made the bass sound slightly artificial, a bit like cranking the bass up on a graphic eq if that makes sense, it was deeper but became less defined, the high also seemed slightly rolled off (more warm) compared to the schottkies
The MUR860's do seem to work very well with the standard GC amps but they just didn't work well for me in this amp.
Its all personal opinions of course
Old 6th December 2005, 06:58 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:

But what is a 'gecko'?
What does that mean?

Sorry to bother you with this.
see the pic that Nordic posted
Old 6th December 2005, 07:02 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Hi Leo,

I was asking because in a past I was using LM3875 both with baterry supply and AC supply (with MUR860 diodes) and I noticed very little difference in tonality beetween the two.

Battery supply appeared dynamically challenged in a long run and too smooth for my taste.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 6th December 2005, 07:06 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Leo, I know you are a 'hardcore' diyer and you don't need kits or available PCBs to build something.
Before you go on switching your outputs [joke], give this a try.
I don't know if I'm still on time, you are the one who knows what you wanna do next, but I guarantee you very, very rewarding results.
Thank you Carlos
I'd love to try this as soon as I can open it
The UCD180's have already been ordered but its something else to try, adding another to my already huge pile of amps won't hurt, its another raved about thing these classd modules so I guess its got to be tried at least
Old 6th December 2005, 07:08 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

t. download them and rename them with a .zip at the end then it works fine

Carlos you hijacker - just kidding
Old 6th December 2005, 07:14 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
Hi Leo,

I was asking because in a past I was using LM3875 both with baterry supply and AC supply (with MUR860 diodes) and I noticed very little difference in tonality beetween the two.

Battery supply appeared dynamically challenged in a long run and too smooth for my taste.
Hi Peter,

Well I've also took your opinions serious regarding conponents especially after trying out the polarity of the BG N caps, I'm still shocked at the noticeable difference it makes

Its strange that I didn't like the MUR860's in this amp, maybe its just the design

I admit to liking the MUR860's probably best with the GC amps though and the Schottkies better if regulators are used

Hide this!Advertise here!