Power cable from offboard PS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seeing the PatekvsGaincard stuff has inspired me to go for separate PS for my bi-amp system. This is hopefully the final change to my configuration as I now have a cutting disc that will allow me to saw up my aluminium plate and get case building.

Anyway, what's best for the power umbilical? Any links to cool looking diy cables? What are the options for connectors? (links to maplin or cpc appreciated!)

Whilst I'm at it, I realise there are a lot of details I'm not sure about.

input RCA to Crossover to amp: Shielded cable ?
amp to Binding Post: multistrand or single core?

Binding posts: where to get non-red/black plastic ones (UK)?

Anyone know if these take banana plugs (looks like they may not in the picture) http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/cpc/standard/CN06929.jpg

Or I might buy a job lot of clear plastic ones from eBay(HongKong).

Attachments

• bp_clear.jpg
    bp_clear.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 140
I used 5 x 1.5mm stranded Cu wires plaited together. I was going to use some nylon mesh to cover it and heatshrink the ends to keep the mesh in place but I couldn't wait to carry on with the rest of the amp so I kept it in its natural form.

For the power connectors I used http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=997&doy=5m12 from Maplin. Seem to work fine to me and the plug goes in the socket one way only.

Attachments

• gc power supply.jpg
    gc power supply.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 179
Yep the fifth wire is the power ground of the amp case. The grounding issue is still a mystery to me too but whatever I did seemed to work as I have no hum. My power ground bascially goes from the earth on the power mains cord inlet to the amp case. This is for safety only as far as I know.

As for the rest of the grounding I followed BrianGT guidlines. I'm using his 3875 kit, which is excellent by the way. Absolutely slaughtered my Arcam Alpha7r on dynamics, clarity, sapce and and whole bunch of other WhatHif-Fi terms.

Al

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.