Build the same reference's loudspeaker to listen our GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
;) Hi, every one. I'm sorry if my thread is not correct for this chipamp's forum.

;) But, i think this is important if we have one or the same loudspeaker to analyze our gainclone's sound. If we don't have the same loudspeaker, we can't say that this GC's sound is detailed,tight bass etc. But if we have the same reference loudspeaker, we can analyze the GC's sound with more objective.;)

Does anyone agree with me?;)

So, why not we build this loudspeaker?

There is many option to build this loudspeaker fullrange and 2way,which is better?(actually i prefer 2way)

Actually, my topic is to get the same reference point to listen our GC's sound.:smash:

regards
---------
TomZ:smash:

important if we have one or the same loudspeaker to analyze our gainclone's sound

While I do agree this would be a good step toward more objective results, I also think everyone's hearing is different and it would still not provide enough of a reference. But I do think that if enough people build a certain gainclone and everyone posts their thoughts with honesty, eventually as more people build the same ones a consensus will be reached.

One way to expand on your idea would be for everyone to have a reference amplifier along with a reference loudspeaker set. Then comparisons could be made objectively to how the sound differs from the reference amp and speakers.

In the end though it may not help as much as the added cost of everyone having these reference devices cost. But who am I to say? :)

It is impossible to ask everyone who build Gainclone to build the same loudspeaker in order to have an objective review of the Gainclone quality. Some own $$$$ loudspeakers, some own budget ones.

But every builder has the right to express their opinion on their amplifier sound, even tho it is the only amplifier they've ever built. The good practice then, when we start to express our opinion on audio quality to others, is to specifify the schematic we use, the components we use, the whole stuffs in the audio chain, how we do the comparison with other refferences, etc. etc.

Hi guys!!Thx for ur all opinion.Before i post this thread,i know this topic will get many critic;)

I just only think if we get the same load (louspeaker) we can get the same result. It's impossible to build the same loudspeaker but i think we can build one with a simple design, like open baffle using fullrange driver;)

I know it's difficult to get an objective analyze about this GC. But when we test this GC with a terrible loudspeaker, the sound of the GC become worse and they will said this GC was bad.
So, we need an objective analyze not subjective analyze.

How to achieve subjective analyze?:smash:

regards
----------
TomZ

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Why not buy reference headphones? They are less expensive, and they cut out the room influence. Somebody or a group with a good 'phone could even ship it around for listening sessions, together with a couple of 'reference' CDs. The disadvantage is that only one can listen at a time, but that should not be a problem; it might even increase the objectivity.
Develop a scoring sheet that everybody accepts, and be sure that all scoring is kept from other listeners and anonymous.

Jan Didden

indoubt said:
And do all GC's have a headphone out?

How hard would be to add a circuit for headphones?

indoubt said:

I think not. Although this would be the best way. I don't think the reference speaker idea will work. For reference it needs to be high quality with assiociated cost.
Im not looking for a super high quality audiophile reference(a loaded word in this case). I want a standard loudspeaker,so if someone says 'the amp sounds this way or that way' I will have a clue.

I do think the reference amp make more sense.

The group ends up with information about how changes to the amp alter the sound with different types of speaker. Interested parties can look for comparison tests for speakers like their own. Who will really care how an amp sounds with a reference speaker?

Building a second amp is easy compared to building a speaker ( and this is an amp building forum).

For my part, I will shortly have standard lm3875, lm3886, amd lm4780 amps built, and will do a comparison with my sealed FR125S, and wharefdale diamond IVs.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jimbo1968 said:
[snip]The group ends up with information about how changes to the amp alter the sound with different types of speaker. Interested parties can look for comparison tests for speakers like their own. Who will really care how an amp sounds with a reference speaker?[snip]

Probably not a lot of people. Which means that, with all those different speakers around, anybody's report on how the GC sounds on HIS system is worth diddly to anybody else ;) . But it DOES make for some good bar talk, of course.:eek:

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.