Transformer wiring problem - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2005, 07:26 PM   #11
sumacSK is offline sumacSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumacSK
mrlots2do,

ok, so why do you recommend your approach over this 4 diode setup??

Thanks Martin
Old 2nd December 2005, 07:42 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sumacSK
ok, so why do you recommend your approach over this 4 diode setup??
I'm not saying it is my approach. How can wiring a ct trans as I mentioned cause smoke? I don't see a wiring problem and I'm asking for someone to tell me where the problem is.
Old 2nd December 2005, 08:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
Apparently the red wire with the 4 leads is the center tap
Hi sumacSK,

As Jan has said, I suspect the red with 4 leads will be the CT and I guess it would be simple with a multimeter to work out which 2 belong to each secondary winding, then you will have 2 separate seondaries.

Usually the leads of transformers are insulated with enamel and only the last 15 or 20 mm is stripped for soldering. Check the insulation of each of the CT leads and use a multimeter to check that there is no connection between all the 4 leads.

regards
Old 5th December 2005, 02:09 AM   #14
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tried it...

MrLots2do:

I did the very thing you said thinking "it's gotta work". I wired it up with the cetertap to both connectors. I measured the correct +/- voltage prior to connecting the amp. But once I connected the amp, a fuse would blow (I have fuses on the Hot and Neutral - kept blowing the Neutral). I went through 12 fuses in two days before I just removed the extra four diodes and jumpered the missing diodes. Works fine now. I would hate to think what would have happened had I not had the fuse.

Why don't you try it, you realize it won't work correctly.

My 2 cents
Old 5th December 2005, 03:49 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

if you try to use a CT transformer with the center tap connected to both sides of a dual rectifier board, you will cause a short on half the cycle. the short actually is through some of the diodes. and the common ground. so it might appear to work untill you hook up the amplifier.

either use it with 4 diodes as a single bridge circuit, or, you can modify your transformer to dual secondary. i did the latter, and it worked fine but BE CAREFUL! I would not want anyone to ruin a perfectly good transformer or zap themselves.
Old 5th December 2005, 11:59 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Tried it...

Quote:
Originally posted by john65b
I did the very thing you said thinking "it's gotta work". I wired it up with the cetertap to both connectors. I measured the correct +/- voltage prior to connecting the amp. But once I connected the amp, a fuse would blow (I have fuses on the Hot and Neutral - kept blowing the Neutral). I went through 12 fuses in two days before I just removed the extra four diodes and jumpered the missing diodes. Works fine now. I would hate to think what would have happened had I not had the fuse.
Didn't see the micro-short (as I'm calling it) until you described it in detail, thanks John65b. Built a 4 diode rectifier board after reading your writeup. What I did come to realize was only a single rectifier is needed per power supply secondary. Quess I could build more amps now that I have extra rectifier pcb parts.

Thanks again

Hide this!Advertise here!