dc operated stereo volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
preamp

Here is my preamp,Have not built it yet.My idea is to use one pot to control 2 channels,First op amp is unity gain to isolate the source second op amp is for gain and third is buffer.The fets provide a variable resistence to ground after the 1 k resistor before the gain circuit.I would like anyones input as to if its a good circuit

:bigeyes:

Attachments

• preampdc.jpg
    preampdc.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 253
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Interestingly!
Two initial comments:

If you use the FET in the gain opamp feedbak path (instead of R1 for instance) you can delete the U1 buffer, another less source of distortion! Same for U3, totally superfluous.

FETS are non-linear in this application. The accepted way of using them is to keep the signal across the FET less then a few 100 mV, and also to inject about half of the signal across the FET to its gate adding to the control voltage. You often see this in audio signal generators where a low distortion means is needed to stabilise the level in a control feedback loop.

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.