LM3886 vs TDA7294

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Things that are objective such as test can be passed to a person you never meet.
Things that are subjective have a hard time being passed to a person who knows you, let alone a person who dont know you.

We just have to be careful not to state our opinions as fact.

Sagar, yours quoting Carlos without reference to your own, which prompted his post in the first place is a clever ploy but does not reflect the full picture. So what is your point; are you saying that everyone should agree to your opinion and gatherings that TDA7294 'beats' LM3886 or are you saying that it is unbelievable that you are in the minority, and therefore, it simply cannot be so?

I think 'some' of us keep forgetting some of the things that this forum has made very clear over time.

"Implementation" can make a huge difference between different applications of similar chips. Different parts and layouts etc.
So without circuit diagrams and possibly pictures ( to see how it's practically done ) , its not possible to get a grasp of what the other is doing.

Another small point. In a typically inverting or non inverting stage it's impossible to get bass boost ( "more gain in the bass" ). The capacitors used for dc decoupling only cause roll off in the bass . So something must be wrong in the implementation or measurement. Or it must be high output impedance ( in a ss amp ? ) and measured with a speaker load !
A circuit diagram and maybe pictures are essential to sort this out.

Keeping one's cool is of utmost importance when analysing a situation . Any reason for flaring up will cause 'noise' and reduce the ability to see finer details as it will get lost in the noise.

Unlike a direct meeting , the Net gives everyone extra time to reflect on how one needs to respond to a post. Taking a five minute break will 'cool' most people and cut out the 'noise' and result in really constructive posts.

It's a great forum , isn't it ?
Cheers.

wanted to say that while ST makes good ( ebleit being over rated) car amp chips, They are second to being trusted by me. Number 1 would certainly have to go to National. Their datasheets are more DIY friendly, don't look like they were written by a 6th grader, and include vastly more information than that of ST.

I have found Errors in ST datasheets that I have had to contact the company about that have caused catastrophic results even! :whazzat:

If this is your first amp I would reccomend going with National, and then you can try ST later. The Lm chip will be a little easier to find as well, and as many others have said eats the TDA chip with its ultra low distortion. I think the only reason people like the TDA chip is because it does not have current limiting. Current limiting causes some nasty distortion when the amp starts to clip, but as long as you never let your ~50 watts or so of blaring power ( LOUD!) clip you should be fine.

What is better...

Hello, I'm 10 light years too late here, but anyway I'll try to expose my thoughts about LM3886 vs TDA7294.

First of all we should define the meaning of better. Since better is subjective, we should agree about aspects of evaluation do define that "better". Output power, THD, Slew rate, CMR, max current, quiescent current is all OK, but we can not determine total sound quality from these parameters not only because there is something else like BJT ant FET's sounds different, but electro acoustics is whole thing and we should think in the scope of this whole system witch consists of signal source, amplifier, x-over, driver units, wires, enclosure and even room acoustics.

This is very complex, but I try to explain it little simpler.

The main big difference between LM3886 and TDA7294 is output stage. LM is using BJT in output stage and TDA is using DMOS. That makes LM give more punchy base and sharp mid-highs, while TDA sounds softer, the base is soft, the mids and highs are more natural.
The sounding of TDA7294 depends much on how it is surrounded. Inverting input has less THD and separate supplies on diver and power stages gives very good results, in terms of sounding it sounds more detail, it has less "sand" in high freq range.

For me best possible solution would be active two way system with active crossover. I'd put LM3886 on base and TDA7294 with separate supplies and inverting input on highs.

If we are making full range amp there is several solutions:
If soft base is appropriate for you - use TDA7294 with inverting in and separate supplies.
If you like punchy base I would prefer LM, but LM3875 instead of LM3886, because LM3875 sounds better in full range, difference in base is not very big, but LM3875 gives more clean mids and highs.

All these listening tests made in sound recording studio's control room with Quested VS2108 studio monitors. Is was blind tests.

Hope my experience helps :)

Most of the commercial product like 2.1 amplifier uses TDA7294. But when it comes to gainclone LM3886 become popular. Talking about the sound quality they have both good sound quality

For me, I am prefer to use TDA7294 because it is cheaper than LM3886. The price of TDA7294 is 50% lesser than LM3886.

...I would say tda 7294 needs a buffer and that is indispensable and sounds good. But lm3876 ( not lm3886 or lm3875) sounds a bit worse to me. ......

This is my finding too. If laid out well the TDA7294 sounds superb. In my case it sounds good even without a buffer. Could be that my source is better behaved or suitable for the input of the 7294. Now it's used with a tubed front end and sounds great. It doesn't make it sound any better , but it does sound superb. Paper specs will get much worse with poorer hum levels and higher distortion ( with the tube). But both are inaudible as far as I'm concerned. :up:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.