LM3886 vs TDA7294 - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2007, 11:26 AM   #51
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by ashok
Two years too late ?

What happened to Nonasoft's last post ?
I made it a new thread for him because his post didn't have anything to do with the LM3886 or the TDA7294.

Altec Lansing ACS90
Old 1st May 2007, 02:32 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ThSpeakerDude88
wanted to say that while ST makes good ( ebleit being over rated) car amp chips, They are second to being trusted by me. Number 1 would certainly have to go to National. Their datasheets are more DIY friendly, don't look like they were written by a 6th grader, and include vastly more information than that of ST.

I have found Errors in ST datasheets that I have had to contact the company about that have caused catastrophic results even!

If this is your first amp I would reccomend going with National, and then you can try ST later. The Lm chip will be a little easier to find as well, and as many others have said eats the TDA chip with its ultra low distortion. I think the only reason people like the TDA chip is because it does not have current limiting. Current limiting causes some nasty distortion when the amp starts to clip, but as long as you never let your ~50 watts or so of blaring power ( LOUD!) clip you should be fine.
Old 1st May 2007, 02:14 PM   #53
alexrj is offline alexrj  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to alexrj
Default What is better...

Hello, I'm 10 light years too late here, but anyway I'll try to expose my thoughts about LM3886 vs TDA7294.

First of all we should define the meaning of better. Since better is subjective, we should agree about aspects of evaluation do define that "better". Output power, THD, Slew rate, CMR, max current, quiescent current is all OK, but we can not determine total sound quality from these parameters not only because there is something else like BJT ant FET's sounds different, but electro acoustics is whole thing and we should think in the scope of this whole system witch consists of signal source, amplifier, x-over, driver units, wires, enclosure and even room acoustics.

This is very complex, but I try to explain it little simpler.

The main big difference between LM3886 and TDA7294 is output stage. LM is using BJT in output stage and TDA is using DMOS. That makes LM give more punchy base and sharp mid-highs, while TDA sounds softer, the base is soft, the mids and highs are more natural.
The sounding of TDA7294 depends much on how it is surrounded. Inverting input has less THD and separate supplies on diver and power stages gives very good results, in terms of sounding it sounds more detail, it has less "sand" in high freq range.

For me best possible solution would be active two way system with active crossover. I'd put LM3886 on base and TDA7294 with separate supplies and inverting input on highs.

If we are making full range amp there is several solutions:
If soft base is appropriate for you - use TDA7294 with inverting in and separate supplies.
If you like punchy base I would prefer LM, but LM3875 instead of LM3886, because LM3875 sounds better in full range, difference in base is not very big, but LM3875 gives more clean mids and highs.

All these listening tests made in sound recording studio's control room with Quested VS2108 studio monitors. Is was blind tests.

Hope my experience helps :-)
Old 1st May 2007, 02:34 PM   #54
alexrj is offline alexrj  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to alexrj
Default Re: What is better...

Quote:
Originally posted by alexrj
All these listening tests made in sound recording studio's control room with Quested VS2108 studio monitors. Is was blind tests.

I'm sorry, it was VH2108 monitors, they looks like VS2108, but they are passive :-)
Old 4th May 2007, 08:40 AM   #55
sukyone is offline sukyone  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to sukyone Send a message via MSN to sukyone Send a message via Skype™ to sukyone
Two year ago . TDA7294 Vs LM3886
Old 3rd February 2011, 06:13 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Most of the commercial product like 2.1 amplifier uses TDA7294. But when it comes to gainclone LM3886 become popular. Talking about the sound quality they have both good sound quality

For me, I am prefer to use TDA7294 because it is cheaper than LM3886. The price of TDA7294 is 50% lesser than LM3886.
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:41 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Default audio amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaudio View Post
According to the application notes the power supply voltage are about the same and there is a 1.5 amp difference in current.

tda7294 +/-40 10A
lm3886 +/-42 11.5A

lm3886 might deliver more power.
HAI,I WANT THE CIRCUIT DIAGRAM OF TDA7294
& LM3886WITH 300 WATTS.PLEASE SEND ME.
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:50 AM   #58
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Look for them.
Google or Search this Forum.

Hide this!Advertise here!