PC volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I was asking this question in my previous thread but nobody answered me so, I'm trying it again. :hot:

I'm in process of building GC amp using brians Lm3875 Rev C boards. My question is: Is it possible not to use volume pot in this amp and control volume only on PC? (I will use Emu 0404 soud card as source). I'm thinking about this because I'm not able to get any decent pots here in my country.

Thanks Martin

It is possible, but I think the sensitivity of the volume control on the PC would be too high for comfort. As well for sound quality using a cheap pot is probably still better then sending a very small signal over the interconnect

You cannot order the pot you want to your country? I have ordered one of these, and found it to work very well for a volume control.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Even though I don't normally use it, a volume control on the speakers will help.

My speaker volume has been set to about half-way for a very long time and I haven't touched it, using the keyboard to control the volume.

Works just fine. At least in that case the speakers are turned down. For my second soundcard (a Delta 66) which is connected to the monitoring speakers, I feed to the amp's direct in and have the soundcard control the volume. Since it allows control to -110 dB, I rarely have a problem controlling the volume at least as far as ganularity goes.

Anyway if you are keen soundcards will drive up to 10K decently, so any value above that should be fine. A cheap keyboard that allows you to adjust the volume will be a good investment too. Using a fixed level on the speaker amps and using the keyboard to make small quick changes on the fly, will give you a wide range of control options.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've been doing it successfully, but there is a risk, and that is if you ever open a program that overides the volume setting (and some do!!) you could end up deaf or with blown speakers ;) I only use mine in specific testing scenarios, for everyday use, just be aware that maybe one day your pc volume control may get set to 100%

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.