Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2005, 09:04 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Didn't the helmet on that Rocketeer guy look something like this to?
Old 24th November 2005, 09:14 PM   #12
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Set phazers to stun...
Old 25th November 2005, 01:38 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

lol this is getting out of hand now..whats next, its looks like a HI-End toaster!!
Old 25th November 2005, 08:04 AM   #14
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by neutron7
Thanks KT !

Lol nobody mentioned the star wars ship yet but i noticed it looks a bit hair dryer ish. since it will be usually viewed from teh front i really do not think it matters (someone else said it looked like a whistle) im sure there are a lot of other things with a similar shape

Yes hair dryer was the first thing that popped into my head but I didn't think I could say, but since you brought it up I could think of other things but won't go there

Tony.
Old 25th November 2005, 12:40 PM   #15
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Neutron,

Maybe we'll see your amp in a future Star Wars spinoff. Maybe Obiwan kicking out the jams on his dual-mono Neutron 5's.

I meant to ask this earlier but forgot to: what were your influences when you designed the amp? It's interesting to see where people get their inspiration.

Finally, here's some food for thought:

Two amps or component lines that I think work very well on a design and sonic level are the original Gaincard from 47 Labs and the Fi amps from Don Garber.

I think these are successful because their visual styling works in concert with their sonic character and their technology.

The Gaincard, for example, sounds very clean, direct, and fast while remaining musical. Visually, the form and lines are very clean and minimal but it's very well-made and elegant. Even the "Zen" concept that their marketing folks cultivate is simple, elegant, and unencumbered. The entire package (sonic character, form factor, and general "vibe") all work together and reinforce each other to create a product that is unambiguous.

The Fi products are tube amps: a technology rooted at the very beginnings of audio. This was also the beginning of the industrial era. The industrial, architectural, and machine look of the Fi amps mirror and reinforce their given technology. The form, sound, and technology are compatible in this way.

To me the Fi amps have a Bauhaus sensiblilty to them. The Bauhaus school in Germany was a utopian design movement from the early 20th century which tried to integrate art and design into the industrial and modern age (here's a quote from the Bauhaus website: '"art and technology - a new unity".... Industrial potentials were to be applied to satisfactory design standards, regarding both functional and aesthetic aspects. The Bauhaus workshops produced prototypes for mass production: from a single lamp to a complete dwelling.' Although Don Garber isn't designing for mass production, his amps do remind me of Bauhaus design prototypes and they seem much influenced by the Bauhaus aesthetic.

Like the Gaincard, the Fi amps work to integrate the sonic and visual aspects of the amp. In the case of the Fi, I would even say that technological and historical considerations are also well integrated into the mix. Like 47 Labs and the Gaincard, Don Garber creates an unambiguous statement with his Fi amps.

So to me good industrial design takes all of these factors (historical, funtional, visual, etc.) into consideration and melds them into a form that is unambiguous, integrated, and appealing.

Best,
KT
Old 25th November 2005, 03:37 PM   #16
eLarson is offline eLarson  United States
diyAudio Member

The Gain-Cannon! I like it.

eL
Old 26th November 2005, 07:36 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Very Nice idea

How are you going to join the pieces together? I like alluminium, but don't have all the tools to work with it.
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 27th November 2005, 01:45 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

KT - I have been pondering different designs for a while and have come up with a few interesting ones, the main problem that has been annoying me is that i like a case that is deep rather than wide, but to do that the mains wiring has to be too close to the amplifier. Im not sure it really matters to this extreme but i just want to be sure!

the other things were, i wanted it to be different, and be really solid.
now the reason for this is probably quite stupid. i have built a couple of identical original 3875 apart from one is in a pair of heavy back to back car amp heatsinks (its on brians gallery) and the other one is in rather ordinary electronics box. the solid one seems to be much nicer to me even though all components, l wires and everything are exactly the same (even the same pot)

I had that case design as a box, on its side with 1 big transformer (in a round housing) on top. this design was changed again as a result of getting 2 smaller transformers from apex jr (thanks great service BTW apexjr) I tried various angles and curves till i got something that i liked the look of..

the only thing that really could change the "style" were: to have the cutout at the back, what shape it should be, the curve at the front had to be round ot angled, due to materials , the design changes could be round or angled, or left square. and most importantly of all, what height to have the indicator bar at! (i think it has something to do with how humans see a face on things ?)

eLarson: i like that name thanks! that is now what it is called
the Gain-Cannon

enzedone: because it is 1/4 inch aluminium it can accept enoug threads of a bolt to make it strong, ill see if someone can weld it and keep it in perfect alignment, or if not i will just bolt it from the inside with some "L" extrusions.
Old 27th November 2005, 05:13 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Interesting

How will you deal with the tranformer outer casings? How do you make that alluminium round like your plan picture. Sorry for the questions, but i real like to find out how people have actually built things. I mean i have some plans, but with limited tools and no experience with al. its difficult to work out how to get things made that require bending into shape, or even worse circular.
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 27th November 2005, 06:58 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default what is it

Looks like a blow dryer...................

just kidding , very nice design

-mm-

Hide this!Advertise here!