fan cooled gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a stereo bridged clone using computer cpu heatsinks and fan to cool it,advantage of small size.Fan are controled with chip that changes fan speed dependant upon heat

Attachments

• fanclone.jpg
    fanclone.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 674
I'm not sure why anyone would need a fan to cool these amp chips, but if it is getting hot, and it isn't oscillating, then you may want to consider this:

The fan will cool the chip after it gets hot, but the package and heatsink have pretty long thermal time constants. By the time your temperature sensor heats up enough to kick on/up the fan, the die inside the package may already be frying. You can sense the current drawn by the amplifier and use that to trigger the fan turn-on/speed up. Here is an article that gives the details:

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/5695/5695.html

I_F

I_Forgot said:
I'm not sure why anyone would need a fan to cool these amp chips, but if it is getting hot, and it isn't oscillating, then you may want to consider this:

Those are CPU (P4?) heatsinks, not big enough for a bridge amp.
The fans are recommended here, if you use small heatsinks, well done.

youyoung21147 said:
Is the fan really necessary on such big heatsinks ?? :bigeyes:

They are not big, the pic is misleading, I know those, I have some of those CPU heatsinks.
They are fine for two chips, but not in bridge mode:att'n:

youyoung21147 said:
Cooling is always welcome on this kind of thing, but if you take the main trafo's supply, it may pollute the PSU because brushless fans switch the motor phases.

Hope it isn't too noisy :D

Oui, vous être correcte, a small trafo and independent PSU should be used for the fans.

youyoung21147 said:
I'w even wondering if this phase switching is not causing some EMI/RFI that could travel in the air to the amplifier, despite the metal heatsink between the chip and the fan.

The chips are isolated.
The chassis is grounded (I hope), so if the heatsinks are in direct contact with the chassis, they are grounded too.
Should be no problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.