is this PSU correct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
look at the output of the transformer.

I dont have separate secondary wirings, my trafo is like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

can I use 2 bridges?

yesterday I blow 2 bridges, maybe I connected wrong something, but I'm pretty sure I didnt.

now I have 2 new briges.

Make sure you connect the AC wires from the transformer to the pins marked ~ on the bridges... the + and - are the DC output pins.

I have used the circuit below, you may want to modify, adding the stuff before the transformer from your circuit... The diodes are 2 oversized jobbies, I think I used 2 8A ones, it can be low voltage units.

The ground symbols marked with lines, is connected to the PSU case, and the mains earth wire also connects to the case

R1 use 5W resistor
Use plain ceramic for the 100nf cap as a short circuit to radio frequency signals, effectively grounding them.

Above circuit desigend by Rod Elliot.

thanks nordic.

I have another question....

my trafo is 18 0 18, and makes 26.5DC with the firsts caps & 2k2 ohms resistor (the ones who discharges the capacitors after psu shutdown).

i have 2 caps rated 17000uf 25v, they're smaller than the other ones that i have (20000uf 75v).

the biggers dont fit in my case, so I was wandering what will happens if I use the smallers (25v) with 26.5v.

what do you think? 1.5V is a risk?

jaudio said:
I wouldnt use the 25volt caps. It might work at first but it will fail. You want caps with working voltage of at least 1.4 times secondary voltage.

1.4 times !!!

It means one wouldn't use some 40V caps on 34.5V (no load) rails ?!

Caps lifetime is guaranted for the nominal voltage, and mainly depends of ripple current, according to datasheets.

Is there a reason for this 1.4 factor ?

jaudio said:
Zafira1981 have you tried a separate case for power supply?

Well, I have news.

I installed the siemens caps (20000x75v) and they really improved the bass response of the amp. I was using only 5000uF (1 for VCC and 1 for VEE).

i will not use the 20KuF caps because they're REALLY bigs, I 've looking for caps prices and i found 10000ufx50v at 3.672u$s each. so next week I will buy 4.

I dont want to buy a new case because they're expensive here... in argentina you have to multiply by 3 the prices. so each cap will cost like u$s11 each!!! :bawling:

thanks!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.