recent case revisions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2005, 03:25 PM   #1
cadbike is offline cadbike  United States
diyAudio Member

Default recent case revisions

I had posted some images of my recent gainclones before, but thought I would share my recent revisions. You can also see the internals on these. They are based on peter's kits. I used quarter inch aluminum stock and quarter inch polycarbonate for the case construction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trey1.jpg (27.3 KB, 714 views)
Old 15th November 2005, 03:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

another picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trey2.jpg (34.6 KB, 619 views)
Old 15th November 2005, 03:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

another image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trey3.jpg (30.0 KB, 598 views)
Old 15th November 2005, 03:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

and the last one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trey4.jpg (29.6 KB, 607 views)
Old 26th November 2005, 09:24 PM   #5
opt-e is offline opt-e  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi cadbike, looks real nice.

I just ordered a 4780 kit from Peter. Wondering where you got your aluminum stock and how much it cost. Did it come with that finish or did you have to finish it yourself? I have no experience with metal work.
Old 27th November 2005, 02:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I got my aluminum from onlinemetals.com I don't know how much it would cost to do one case only, but I spent about three hundred dollars ordereing from then for 13 amps or enough to do 26 cases. The finish when I received it was more of a brushed finish. But, there were a lot of scratches in it. I would say the pictures I posted here are about halfway through the finishing process. I started with 220 grit paper and wet sanded all the way to 2000 grit. It probably took four hours or so of sanding per case, but once I got it sanded and polished it was worth it. I think my next one I may just sand to 800, then scotchbrite and anodize it though. that one, unfortunately wasn't actually mine.
Old 27th November 2005, 06:21 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I was actually looking at this same place. Was shipping expensive?

I have two ATX computer PSU cases (one for the amp itself and the other for the power supply) that I'm planning on using as basic shells and adding some nice 1/4 inch aluminum front panels and wood side panels as you did.

What did you use for polishing?
Old 27th November 2005, 06:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Also, out of curiousity, what kind of connector did you use for your power supply umbilical?
Old 27th November 2005, 07:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to safetyman Send a message via MSN to safetyman Send a message via Yahoo to safetyman
Quote:
Originally posted by cadbike
The finish when I received it was more of a brushed finish. But, there were a lot of scratches in it. I would say the pictures I posted here are about halfway through the finishing process. I started with 220 grit paper and wet sanded all the way to 2000 grit. It probably took four hours or so of sanding per case, but once I got it sanded and polished it was worth it. I think my next one I may just sand to 800, then scotchbrite and anodize it though. that one, unfortunately wasn't actually mine.
cadbike, congrats and it does look good. I am about to start on something similar and have a couple of questions. You did the sanding by hand or with one of those polishing machines? I was thinking of starting off with 350 and finishing with 1500 grit, coz that's the finest I could get my hands on. Do you think it's good enough?

Yeah, and how did you polish it? Appreciate if you could comment.
Old 27th November 2005, 02:06 PM   #10
Mick_F is offline Mick_F  Germany
diyAudio Member

1500 grit will make scratches of about 10 micron depth. That will be a nice but not shiny surface. If you want to get a brilliant finish, go up to 2400 or (if you can get it) 4000 grit and subsequent car polish.

Mick

Hide this!Advertise here!