Discrete Regulated Preamp PSU Pics - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2005, 12:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking Discrete Regulated Preamp PSU Pics

Hello everyone, I just thought that I would post some pics of my recently completed PSU for my preamp. It is based on discrete regulator design that can be found on Nuuk's site Decibel Dungeon.

This puts out 16.5V exactly, regulation seems to be rock solid. I have built the board around an AMVECO PCB mounted toroidal transformer, which feeds a dual bridge contructed of ISLR860's. The large cans are Rubycon 6800uF with the skins stripped, the rest of the caps are Panasonic FC's. The DC voltage from the rectifiers is fed into a pair of LM317/337 which regulates the voltage to around +/- 22V. This feeds a discrete regulator that brings it down to 16.5V. The grounds are seperate but could be connected depending on the application...and as you can see I still need to connect the output cables on the negative rail.

I had originally built this to go with my OPA627/Buf634 preamp...but I think it will soon be feeding my AD815 pre that I have in the works
Attached Images
File Type: jpg discrete-psu.jpg (91.8 KB, 1682 views)
Old 6th November 2005, 11:49 PM   #2
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
YOu should get some boards made id buy about 6
Old 7th November 2005, 12:32 AM   #3
Banned

Default Re: Discrete Regulated Preamp PSU Pics

Quote:
Originally posted by Gcollier
I had originally built this to go with my OPA627/Buf634 preamp...but I think it will soon be feeding my AD815 pre that I have in the works
A wise decision.
Old 7th November 2005, 01:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Discrete Regulated Preamp PSU Pics

Quote:
Originally posted by Gcollier
Would you be interested in any of those?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad815.jpg (55.4 KB, 1475 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 7th November 2005, 04:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

is that an old package that analog doesn't make anymore?

it seems like SOIC is the only package still being made by analog.

what is the current handling specs of your package?
Old 7th November 2005, 12:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I didn't even know the AD815 was made in a package other than the soic. There is no max output current in the datasheet for either package, I guess you just need a big enough heatsink to dissipate the power. While looking for the datasheet for the AYS, I found that bgmicro has them in stock for $1.95 each for 1-9, $1.50 for 10-99 and $.99 for 100+. Now I have no more excuses not to build Carlos' preamp.

The discrete regulated power supply I built from Nuuk's webpage also gets 16.5 volt rails. Although mine is much uglier than yours. It's on a piece of scrap perfboard, and everything came out of the parts bin. Still, it should match well with Carlos' preamp.
Attached Images
File Type: png ad815 power dissipation.png (7.9 KB, 969 views)
Old 7th November 2005, 12:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Do you have a schematic, or a link to one? I couldn't find any discrete regulator on Nuuks pages, but maybe I just missed it.
Old 7th November 2005, 12:36 PM   #8
tja is offline tja  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Christer
Do you have a schematic, or a link to one? I couldn't find any discrete regulator on Nuuks pages, but maybe I just missed it.
It's on Nuuks gainclone preamp page:

Preamp page

It starts at PSU part 2

Take
Old 7th November 2005, 12:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

OK. Thanks.
Old 7th November 2005, 12:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Christer
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nuukspot/...nclonepre.html

The link above will take you to the page wit the schematic. Scroll down and you will find it. I will post the board files later.

Peter, that certainly is an interesting package for the AD815 but I already designed my board around the SOIC version. I have no problem with SMD in fact I almost prefer it to through hole. Mind you heatsinking would be rather easy with those chips you showed.

As for plans to get some of these made I have none as I can etch all I need for myself, and it is only a simple single sided design. Once I post the board files you are free to do with them as you would like.

G.

Hide this!Advertise here!