how to test ic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
What I had in mind was just a simple DMM and a universal answer. Go figure we had to go and measure a micro-controller (which is an IC as well) with an ohmmeter. :cannotbe:
Even measuring an LM38XX wouldn't go that way.
Looking at the price of IC testers, and if you only want to test opamps I guess building a small test circuit with +/-15V, in and outputs or just plug it in some existing circuitry should do the trick.

/Hugo :)

opamp testing is a breeze.

i built that mini project to test upto quad amps.with three ic bases for standard pinouts.but opamp testing not on my mind.

i want an audio amp ic tester,better portable,batery driven so i can test ic on the spot at the shop.

my only ckt to go bust is tda7293 amp.ic burned out.isuspect it was jus a junk,nothing but simple metal plate inside.

any general purpose ckt in sight??

thats y i m here.to b able to buid a full proof tester that test and not destroys:D

my main concern is audio amp tester(chip)

it should just make the chip sound

like that,some small alligators sticking out,joined to pins of i/p o/p power etc,small speaker variable supply of standard values.any plan??
tried anyone?advise??

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I suspect that it would cost you more money to build a fool proof tester than it would cost to throw away a few faulty chips that you might buy.

If you have more than one failure, (highly unlikely, if your circuit is ok), then it's easiest just to buy chips with a different batch code.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Just buy your chips from a reputable dealer then! ;)

edit: To test properly, you might as well build another amp, as you need to test at full voltage and output, running into a suitable dummy load. Use a socket to mount the chip, and a clamp to fix a heatsink. You will then have to prove that any chips you blow up were fakes, or the dealer will likely charge you for them. Just buy from a real distributor, it's much easier...

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There’s a good chance that your test circuit will go up in smoke just as the amplifier did. Looking at the ‘Typical Application and Test Circuit’ in the datasheet there are quite some components to loose as well. On the other hand, this might probably be the simplest schematic to build as a test circuit and in the meantime you have build an amplifier. :D

/Hugo

The question is, what do you want to test? I suppose fakes come in many flavours, so there isn't one single test that catches them all.

Just some loose ideas:
- Current limited power supply and a check that the chip doesn't draw an insane amount of idle current.
- Some check that it indeed works as an amplifier. This could be something simple like connecting it as a voltage follower, a switch to choose say + and - 2 V at the input and LEDs at the output to verify the function

Things You don't catch this way are, for instance:
- open loop gain
- Frequency response
- power handling (How do you know they haven't just put a 741 in the package)

Christer said:
The question is, what do you want to test? I suppose fakes come in many flavours, so there isn't one single test that catches them all.

Just some loose ideas:
- Current limited power supply and a check that the chip doesn't draw an insane amount of idle current.
- Some check that it indeed works as an amplifier. This could be something simple like connecting it as a voltage follower, a switch to choose say + and - 2 V at the input and LEDs at the output to verify the function

Things You don't catch this way are, for instance:
- open loop gain
- Frequency response
- power handling (How do you know they haven't just put a 741 in the package)

good.thats the idea.

and also a problem

come up with its application(your idea)

Just buy your chips from a reputable dealer then!

for chips that i have usedand worked,the current dealer is now reputed:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.