Best sounding Gainclone...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let me just say the OPA549 has the traditional laid-back sound of Burr-Brown and not the sound of old, tube amps. It just a fine amp regardless whether its tubes or transistors.
If you built one then you know what it is all about and no need to mince words.

I do have Monster Cables and I can see it is sensitive to capacitive loads, so perhaps your CAT5 cable has more capacitance than 2 widely spaced conductors.

Tom

tmblack said:
Let me just say the OPA549 has the traditional laid-back sound of Burr-Brown and not the sound of old, tube amps. It just a fine amp regardless whether its tubes or transistors.

I was just telling you that the OPA549 sounds very different depending the gain you use.
Besides bandwidth, it is also much noisier than LM chips, so 10x gain is top for good performance.
Ideally you should use it under 8x gain.

tmblack said:
If you built one then you know what it is all about and no need to mince words.

Can I give my oppinion, as you gave yours?
I just didn't agree with what you said:

tmblack said:
But I do find too much philosphy associated with Gainclones, its just a power OP-AMP used in inverting or non-inverting mode.

My point is: with the same chip you can make a good or a bad amp.
I appreciate that you like the OPA549 and you are happy with your amp, but this last part of your post was what made me... post.
There's much more knowledge and experience to make a good amp (even if it's a chip-amp) than you think.

tmblack said:
I do have Monster Cables and I can see it is sensitive to capacitive loads, so perhaps your CAT5 cable has more capacitance than 2 widely spaced conductors.

And who told you I use Cat5 for speakers? :confused:
I don't.
Anyway, just use a zobel.
And a good PSU, btw.
PS: of course, the OPA549 needs a gainstage to produce normal gains.

Have you tried different interconnector with the OPA549?

I found the OPA549 is very senitive to the type of interconnections. Cat5 cables are bright and Monster Cable are kind of neutral.
I am addressing this post and not to Carlos when I spoke of CAT5.

For my OPA549 amp, I am using it at unity gain which need not be called a GAINCLONE as that configuration was around when I was using LM741s 25 years ago.

Of course the power supply and feedback, compensation are important too, but that is the same for all power amps. I consider these engineering issues and not philosophical at all.

Some people like the LM series and that has already been mentioned. Since the original poster discussed interested in a tube based amp I offer an alternative that might suit his taste.

Have a nice day,

Tom

EE

Because it's YOU who call it.
Beats me...
Whatever.
Carlos,

you are misquoting me and misunderstood my post.

I am saying these OP-AMP circuits have been in text books for decades and there is no need to call every chip amp a GAINCLONE.

There is too much magic and philosphical nonsense in the marketing of the GAINCARD, there is none in the discussion of power supplies or part values.

Tom

EE

tmblack said:
I am saying these OP-AMP circuits have been in text books for decades and there is no need to call every chip amp a GAINCLONE.

There is too much magic and philosphical nonsense in the marketing of the GAINCARD, there is none in the discussion of power supplies or part values.

Tom, I agree 100% with this, sorry if I didn't understand at first.

paging Owen

hi Owen,

I read your previous post about using LF353. Can you tell me how do you use them and whaich other OP you have compared them with? I have the TLE 2072/2082 and I found them to be good, esp the 2082. But I much prefer the the THS4032 type. The other op amp I tried are the usually 5532, 2132, 2134, 627,637 etc...

Tks n rgds

WLee

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.