My power Outlets do not have a ground..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mick_F said:

You can make a separate ground connection to a heater radiator or water pipe.

:att'n: No he can't. That is strictly forbidden and unsafe.

Unfortunately, most swedish homes don't have outlets with ground except in kitchens and bathrooms, so this is a common problem for us. There isn't much to do about it, unless one takes the cost of getting the home rewired. As SY said, equipment should be double insulated to adhere to safety regulations when there is no ground.

Hello

Ground connection can be easily made man...here is a suggestion.

If your home's got a small garden, then bring a copper rod of about 80cm long, and 2cm thick...

Don't dig any thingy in the soil, just start inserting the rod in the soil using a big hammer, until there is 10cm left or the rod ubove the soil, try to find an area where the soil is not completely wet, and not completely dry. Then connect a fairly thick wire "Say 2 mil" and bring it to your new outlet for amplifiers !!

When you finish, call the electricity company to do their tests, the impedance should not be more than few milliohms. I think its a tedious work, but worth the trial, I did that my self, and I hade to use two rods, any way, ground connection is not only intended for protection, also all 100Hz hum disappeared from my speakers when I connected the chassis to the ground connection I made, believe it or not, this is an inherent problem, and can only be removed by connecting the ground of the amplifier with the ground from the outlet....

Good luck

Warning
Don't ever try to create a ground connection using water pipes in your home, if a leakage from the amplifier transformers occurs, then all water pipes might carry the hot line potential which is very dangarous and lethal, hence, if you wanna wash your hands, while your feet arenot isolated from the bathroom floor, for example, you will get fried, and get holes in your legs !!

Look at this photo which is for a man who was shocked by a broken lamp wires

1) 80 cm looks too shallow to me - to be able to achieve few milliohms.
2) You may have cadweld equipment at home to make the connection from the ground wire to the ground rod but I believe most of people do not have it.

So, it's not that simple.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Post #8
I assume that there are no houses in which the water-pipe system is not properly grounded

You might be suprised. All it takes is for a bit of copper to be replaced with the new plastic pipework, and there is no continuity. In the UK, building regs state that every sink, bath or other appliance has to have a separate earth bond wire, run back to the main earth conection.

Hello

I think I have to clear some points here:

I meant that the water pipes system in home should not be used as a ground for electrical home appliances, even if the watering system it self is grounded, the connection for the electrical home appliances should be directly taken from the main ground connection, that is, the outlet if available.

The practice of earting the watering pipes system at homes is meant for extra protection, when you use a hair dryer in the bathroom for example, it might fall in the sink while connected to the mains.....thats all

Also, the if some people see that 80cm is too shallow, then you can have a longer one, or use more than one, where the last option is much preffered in deed.

Any way, to connect the main earth wire to the rod is not a big dilemma, you can drill the rod after you have inserted it in the soil for example, and use a ring shaped connector for the wire, then screw it to the rod....Simple, ha....I 've done that already....

Also, no need to assume any fuse to blow here, if it blows, then you are really driving the mains crazy !!

Good luck

Metal -- 80cm may be adequate in balmy Louisianna, but it's not up here. If memory serves me correctly, building code states that it must run ten feet underground in order to be below the frost line. The ground wire must also be properly bonded to the ground stake, I think there is special welding equipment for this.

You can also use the cold water intake in some situations at the building's entrance, when it is bonded to the building's electrical ground. Do not use anything less than #8 wire, and you should be using a purpose-made compression connectors to the copper pipe, and use Noalox in the compression connectors where they meet the wire.

If you are going to run more than one ground this way, terminate on suitable bus bar.

We had to do this at work, we ran 00 awg ("double ought") wire from the building's cold water intake, to a bus bar. Each cabinet was wired up with #8 wire, and the breaker box was something bigger (#6?). We used the cold water intake because A) it's a cold water intake, and B) it was already bonded to the ground stakes driven at the building's perimeter.

Wes

Metal -- 80cm may be adequate in balmy Louisianna, but it's not up here. If memory serves me correctly, building code states that it must run ten feet underground in order to be below the frost line. The ground wire must also be properly bonded to the ground stake, I think there is special welding equipment for this.

It depends on the climate and the type of soil, so we can't assume standards for all regions......you are absolutely right :)

it is safe to say that

every country and in the US every state has it's own building code
so I would suggest to leave the answer up to the Swedes in this case.

As for all other, think of the Dutch solution.... wild!!! I have seen earth connections to water pipes in the bathroom etc...
as long as the water is not disconnected, the water will carry it away won't it?

J-P

For the kitchen and bath to have ground it olny makes sence to have it throughout the house.
You might have a grounded box with an ungrounded outlet.

If this is the case there will be a ground wire attached to the back of the box the outlet is in.

If there is you can replace the ungrounded outlet with a grounded one. You must run a wire from the ground terminal on the outlet to the back of the box.

For saftey work with the power to that outlet off.

If your are unsure about changing the plug yourself, then don't do it.

ShetiPhian said:

If there is you can replace the ungrounded outlet with a grounded one. You must run a wire from the ground terminal on the outlet to the back of the box.

If your are unsure about changing the plug yourself, then don't do it.

Yes, there most certainly is ground available.

No, one is not allowed to it oneself in Sweden. It must be done by a licenced electrician, and they charge a fortune for doing the job since they are the only ones allowed to do it.

Electric safety rules vary a lot from country to country, so it is pointless to give recommendation based on what is allowed in another country.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.