Input Cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Long time since iv'e posted here, anyways:

Do i HAVE to have a Non-Polar cap at the input of an OPA or LM chip?
main reason why im asking is beacsue i have none left and i have to travle alot to get them(30km away from me).

Thanks,
Kinser

The best choice is to use a film cap, which is non-polar. However, I assume from your question that you don't have any large enough film cap at home, but only polar electrolytic ones. Using a polar cap is not advisable, since the cap is there for protection and could see a large reverse voltage if there is some fault in the equipment preceeding it. The standard solution is to use two polar caps in series, but in opposite direction. It doesn't matter if you tie the plus ends together or the minus ends. However, you ger only half the capacitance so you must use caps twice as big as the value you would have used for a single cap. For instance, if the schematic says to use a 2.2 uF non polar cap, you can use two 4.7 uF polar caps instead, like this.

......+....+.....
---||----||---

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.