cheap gc transformer source Canadian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just built a 3875 gc with 250va industrial control transformer works and sounds fine. These are 600 volt in and center tapped for 120-240 v out . Feeding it with 120v gives me +/- 33 v dc into the amp cards . These transformers are very common in industrial surplus and readily available. Were used for getting control voltage in industrial panels in sizes up to 1 kva.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
You guys live in Canada so why not order them from Plitron? They make excellent transformers and it won't cost you as much because shipping shouldn't be bad at all. Heck, you might even be able to go order and pick them up in person!

Well, if we're tramping around salvage yards looking for these, it would be nice to know what they look like. Like this?

Attachments

• hammond ph series.gif
    hammond ph series.gif
    11 KB · Views: 404
Ive noticed a consistant trend of large savings whenever you buy components that do not have anything to do with audio. Its really extreme when it comes to silver wire.

The surplus market of industrial equipment is so much larger and its market serves penny pinchers. Good luck finding audio power transformers at dollars/KVA.

If anyone is interested right now there are some good deals on 800 - 1KVA ~30-0-30 CT toriods going on down town. About 30 bucks a piece which isn't as good as the control panels but still better then Plitron.
If anyone knows of 22 or 25V CT or DS 400VA+ in town please let me know.

Speaking about trafo.'s, I got this one from the local thrift store. [$2] don't know the capacity but it has dual secondaries [blue-blue;red-red] which measure 21.4 volts d.c; rectified; 14.2 a.c.each side. It's tamradio japan. Which chip would go well with low power?

cheers
doggy

Attachments

• monarch driver 035 (custom).jpg
    monarch driver 035 (custom).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 267
doggy said:
Speaking about trafo.'s, I got this one from the local thrift store. [$2] don't know the capacity but it has dual secondaries [blue-blue;red-red] which measure 21.4 volts d.c; rectified; 14.2 a.c.each side. It's tamradio japan. Which chip would go well with low power?

cheers
doggy

Hmmm. well not sure of a good chipamp, but I know it should make a fine preamp trafo.

The Kookaburra preamp would work great with that trafo, plus many others I am sure.

Nice find.

Cheers!
Russ

Joined 2002
Paid Member
doggy said:

cheers
doggy

I think that's means you could get 21.4-0-21.4 so that is enough voltage for most LM*s, although maybe not ideal, but what VA do you estimate it is?

Russ White said:
The Kookaburra preamp would work great with that trafo, plus many others I am sure.

Hey Russ, curious why you called it the Kookaburra, what's the aussie connection?

regards

Well, if we're tramping around salvage yards looking for these, it would be nice to know what they look like. Like this?
Sorry I didnt get back right away , gone on a job site. Yes , the transformers you picture are similar , regular iron core types. What I was getting at is , I just built a 3875 gc with one in it and it sounds just as good as the others I have built with torroids from Hammond . You will find them in panels close to the main disconnect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.