connect a sub to amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2005, 06:18 PM   #1
JSD777 is offline JSD777  Malta
diyAudio Member

Default connect a sub to amp

I would like to connect my non-powered sub to my amp but the latter has two speaker out(L & R) can somebody help me to connect it to my single sub. I do know electronic so circuit diagrams are welcome thank you:
Old 20th October 2005, 03:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

is your amp chip amp or discrete.i mean to say that is it bridgeable.

see the instruction manual of amp to determine if its bridgable.

if it is then the two o/ps can be combined to get a single out of twice the power

more on that after your reply
Old 24th October 2005, 07:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for you reply. Unfortunately the amp i am using has be assemle by myself(hobby kit).the chip is an stk 4392.the schematic diagram given is only a two channel L& R.i was think that it may be possible to design a circuit to bridge the amp.but then i will be using only the left or right of the audio signal.does that not affect the sound.can it be possible to add the L&R signal then bridge the resulting signal.can you help me on how to add the L&R signal to become one. thank you
Old 24th October 2005, 03:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

show me the amp schematics.

i will advise u on bridging after that.

(dont do it now,wait for further advise::to add the stereo o/p of stereo channel to form a single mono,place two >or= 10k res. from each stereo o/p and join the res. ends together.so now u have a mono system o/p with two wires.u got it!!!!)
Old 24th October 2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

You need to make a 'virtual earth' summing amplifier around an op-amp. This is such a simple circuit you can find it anywhere. This will give you a summed left + right. Then you build a unity gain inverter, again an easy to find circuit. This gives your a normal and inverted output to drive your stereo amp to allow you to bridge it.
Old 24th October 2005, 05:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

excuse me richie guy,but the amp in ques. is chipamp.so u cant say abouut its bridging capability until u either see its scheme or see the datasheet.
summing amp for stereo to mono is a bit of a headache when the same can b achieved by a pair of cheap res.

lets see the scheme n then say anything
Old 24th October 2005, 05:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xplod1236
Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
Then you build a unity gain inverter, again an easy to find circuit. This gives your a normal and inverted output to drive your stereo amp to allow you to bridge it.
Or you can just use a DRV134 from TI.
Old 24th October 2005, 10:57 PM   #8
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sagarverma
excuse me richie guy,but the amp in ques. is chipamp.so u cant say abouut its bridging capability until u either see its scheme or see the datasheet.
The schematic is not important, at least as far as chip amps go where there is very limited scope for implementation.

Quote:
Originally posted by sagarverma
summing amp for stereo to mono is a bit of a headache when the same can b achieved by a pair of cheap res.
A pair of resistors will work, but it's far better to use a virtual earth mixer, if you can accept the slight increase in complexity.

Quote:
Originally posted by xplod1236
Or you can just use a DRV134 from TI.
You can, but if you are summing with an op-amp anyway, just use a dual chip and you have a small, neat and cheap solution.
Old 26th October 2005, 04:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for the tip about the two resistors it would really help me.for the schematic diagram i have a print copy so i need to translate it. as it is dont i will sent it to you and thank you again for the great tip(simple and cheap!).so now i have my single out great!

Hide this!Advertise here!