diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   connect a sub to amp (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/66289-connect-sub-amp.html)

JSD777 19th October 2005 07:18 PM

connect a sub to amp

I would like to connect my non-powered sub to my amp but the latter has two speaker out(L & R) can somebody help me to connect it to my single sub. I do know electronic so circuit diagrams are welcome thank you::confused:

sagarverma 20th October 2005 04:06 AM

is your amp chip amp or discrete.i mean to say that is it bridgeable.

see the instruction manual of amp to determine if its bridgable.

if it is then the two o/ps can be combined to get a single out of twice the power

more on that after your reply

JSD777 24th October 2005 08:23 AM

Thank you for you reply. Unfortunately the amp i am using has be assemle by myself(hobby kit).the chip is an stk 4392.the schematic diagram given is only a two channel L& R.i was think that it may be possible to design a circuit to bridge the amp.but then i will be using only the left or right of the audio signal.does that not affect the sound.can it be possible to add the L&R signal then bridge the resulting signal.can you help me on how to add the L&R signal to become one. thank you:rolleyes:

sagarverma 24th October 2005 04:10 PM

show me the amp schematics.

i will advise u on bridging after that.

(dont do it now,wait for further advise::to add the stereo o/p of stereo channel to form a single mono,place two >or= 10k res. from each stereo o/p and join the res. ends together.so now u have a mono system o/p with two wires.u got it!!!!)

richie00boy 24th October 2005 04:18 PM

You need to make a 'virtual earth' summing amplifier around an op-amp. This is such a simple circuit you can find it anywhere. This will give you a summed left + right. Then you build a unity gain inverter, again an easy to find circuit. This gives your a normal and inverted output to drive your stereo amp to allow you to bridge it.

sagarverma 24th October 2005 06:41 PM

excuse me richie guy,but the amp in ques. is chipamp.so u cant say abouut its bridging capability until u either see its scheme or see the datasheet.
summing amp for stereo to mono is a bit of a headache when the same can b achieved by a pair of cheap res.

lets see the scheme n then say anything

xplod1236 24th October 2005 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by richie00boy
Then you build a unity gain inverter, again an easy to find circuit. This gives your a normal and inverted output to drive your stereo amp to allow you to bridge it.
Or you can just use a DRV134 from TI.

richie00boy 24th October 2005 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sagarverma
excuse me richie guy,but the amp in ques. is chipamp.so u cant say abouut its bridging capability until u either see its scheme or see the datasheet.
The schematic is not important, at least as far as chip amps go where there is very limited scope for implementation.

Quote:

Originally posted by sagarverma
summing amp for stereo to mono is a bit of a headache when the same can b achieved by a pair of cheap res.
A pair of resistors will work, but it's far better to use a virtual earth mixer, if you can accept the slight increase in complexity.

Quote:

Originally posted by xplod1236
Or you can just use a DRV134 from TI.
You can, but if you are summing with an op-amp anyway, just use a dual chip and you have a small, neat and cheap solution.

JSD777 26th October 2005 05:16 PM

Thank you very much for the tip about the two resistors it would really help me.for the schematic diagram i have a print copy so i need to translate it. as it is dont i will sent it to you and thank you again for the great tip(simple and cheap!).so now i have my single out great!