Wintermute's Gainclone - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2005, 02:50 AM   #11
just another
diyAudio Moderator

OK another status pic..... If I keep this up I might actually finish it

this one with input resistors and signal earth wire attached. Its amazing what you see when you take a closeup looks much more horible than it does to the naked eye I think I need to stop shrinking the heat shrink with the soldering iron tip too

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc1.jpg (64.2 KB, 862 views)
Old 24th October 2005, 04:39 AM   #12
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Default almost there :)

OK not much to go for this channel now, just connection to input output and power......

Note that although the photo looks like pins are really close or touching, they have a safe distance

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc2.jpg (71.9 KB, 815 views)
Old 24th October 2005, 04:41 AM   #13
just another
diyAudio Moderator

and one from the back...... might be time to go back to the chassis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc3.jpg (49.6 KB, 741 views)
Old 24th October 2005, 09:35 AM   #14
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Unhappy mabe I should have stuck to soldering

well I decided to do the rear panel...... holes went well except one where I don't think I centre punched deep enough and the bit must have slipped.... so one input socket is a bit wonky.....

but the real problem was with the hole for the power plug.... I got half way and my cheap nibbling tool decided that it had had enough of cutting 2mm aluminium and went on strike.... me being foolish and not thinking about it a little more carefully decided that the tungsten carbide cutting bit along with the mild steel case from the PC power supply that I got the connector out of would be real easy..... use the pc case as a template and just run around it..... hmmmm bad idea If I had have thought a bit longer I could have used my jig saw, or if I was really desperate chain drilled it, but I let speed seduce me and well now there is some extra ventilation around the power plug

Only other problem is that my fuse needs a 15mm hole and I don't have any drill bits that big!!

Oh well soldier on.....

oh and by the way there are some extra holes and a rounded off corner because this was a scrap piece of aluminium I had.....

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc_rear_pannel.jpg (34.1 KB, 644 views)
Old 24th October 2005, 12:22 PM   #15
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Some intricate soldering there!
Old 24th October 2005, 03:00 PM   #16
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks Ropie It's not as good as I would have liked, but that's mainly to do with the fact that I forgot to clean up all of the component leads.... still haven't learned after more than 20 years .... some weren't tinning properly so I ended up with some blobs due to having to add more solder to get it to tin Hopefully the second channel will be better, if I clean up all the component leads.

Here is another pic. It's starting to look like an amplifier now!! though after my gaf with the power socket hole, I'm feeling a bit hesitant about doing the switch hole!!! it's only a small one though, 13mm X 18mm, so maybe I should try chain drilling and filing it.....

man I wish I had some decent metalworking tools I have my battery operated drill, a jig saw and the dremel (and a now defunct nibbling tool).... a drill press would be very nice. I was reading Vikashes case thread earlier, came across it when I did a search on finishing aluminium. I'm so jealous of all your equipment Vikash!!! I've always wanted a lathe, and you have lots of other goodies too

anyway time for me to head for bed I think.

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc_partial.jpg (85.1 KB, 687 views)
Old 24th October 2005, 03:10 PM   #17
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

That lathe still hasn't been switched on Table saw and drill press are dead handy for metal work, but none top the router as my fav tool overall! My 25 router is still king.
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 25th October 2005, 07:25 AM   #18
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Come on Vikash, surely you can turn up some nice equipment spikes or something To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what I would use a lathe for, I know there have been times I wanted one, but I think that was when I wanted to turn some special bolts for my Morris 1100.....

Haven't made any progress today, as I had to do my tax return, though I did just go out and buy some power cable, as the 12 gauge stuff I had was too heavy, and the thinner stuff (15A auto cable) was too stiff. So I got some nice 16 gauge super flexible OFC stuff..... might do a bit more this evening

Tony.
Old 25th October 2005, 07:49 AM   #19
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Come on Vikash, surely you can turn up some nice equipment spikes or something To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what I would use a lathe for, I know there have been times I wanted one, but I think that was when I wanted to turn some special bolts for my Morris 1100.....

Haven't made any progress today, as I had to do my tax return, though I did just go out and buy some power cable, as the 12 gauge stuff I had was too heavy, and the thinner stuff (15A auto cable) was too stiff. So I got some nice 16 gauge super flexible OFC stuff..... might do a bit more this evening

Tony.
Old 25th October 2005, 09:15 AM   #20
just another
diyAudio Moderator

OK just attached the power leads..... I think this has been the hardest soldering job so far!!! I always dread soldering power leads on though

once again the camera doesn't hide any flaws and it also flattens the perspective making everything look like it is shorting together!! I think the closest gap between anything is at least 2mm, hopefully won't have any problems!

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc4.jpg (78.0 KB, 564 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!