Where do you return your load?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Russ, I used to live in Bristol, TN and there I learned NASCAR, Vols and Country Music.

I am using Brian's kit and there are both pg+ and pg- on the board. My inclination would be to go to a point equal each, off the board ("star").
But, here is a follow ? Would you return all the channels (eventually 6, for me, but that should really not be any different than 2) to a mutual ps star, or each load return to its own channel?
THX,
-BG

My guidance is to make all GNDs terminate at the star GND, so if you have 6 channels all with the same PS, then each channels GND should go to the star GND. The star GND is usually best placed bettween the final caps on the PS.

How does one define 'same PS'? I am using a single 800VA +/- 25V, 2 diode bridges per ch (one ea rail) on a single pcb, power gnd for each on the ps pcb. Still one star for all channels?

rgrayton -- I have a similar setup to you (twin 3886 boards, twin PS boards, one transformer). My current plan is to create two adjacent star grounds and to join them with a very short, thick wire.

Hopefully, I'll be done this weekend or sooner and can let you know how it works out.

If you beat me to getting done, let me know what you did and how it worked, eh? :)

Wes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.