"Snubber" impedance graphs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Russ

You may also wish to examine Audio Research circuit diagrams. The like snubbers with a twist - a small inductor in series with the capacitor.

I have been aware of AR using them for many years but never seriously considered snubbers in my projects before Carlos pointed out their usefulness in chip amps. As all my speakers are unhappy with low capacitance and high capacitance on its own is pretty much unlistenable, the snubbers brought a very significant improvement to my GC.

Thanks, I will do that.

I wonder though if snubbing is the "only" way to negate the impact of the big cap inductance. I get the distinct impression it is not. I am also very curious as to the effect of the LCR net...

I also would just like a way to quantify and graph the impact of the caps on the chip, especially after factoring in PSSR. Maybe that will emerge.

I have also seen conflicting graphs on impedance, some showing snubbed power supplies with higher impedace(especially in the audio spectrum) othes (including Josephs) the otherway around, though the difference in electrical terms seems slight.

A few other documents I have read have an LRC net snubber as well, but mostly for switch mode applications(especially switching power supplies). Class D amplification would be a perfect application.

The more I read about it the more I am getting the urge to try the class D thing. :) But thats another topic.... For that application a set of snubbers seems nearly essential.

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.