Coping with NE5532D output DC offset - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2005, 08:39 PM   #1
VEC7OR is offline VEC7OR  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to VEC7OR
Default Coping with NE5532D output DC offset

I've designed and assembled a headphone amplifier based on NE5532D (http://images.bite.lt/banga/files/cl...ac13923b17.png schematics, http://images.bite.lt/banga/files/cl...ac189633db.jpg PCB, http://images.bite.lt/banga/files/cl...ac1d14c818.jpg insides, http://images.bite.lt/banga/files/cl...ac1e4eedd1.jpg front)

On each output it has 0.121V DC offset, I dont think it does alot of harm to my 64ohm headphones because power sink due to dc offset is just ~220uW, but it somewhat bugs me, how can I rid of it ?

P.S. As for the amp itself I really like the sound - its dead quiet when there is no signal and transparent when it is .
Profanity took a very interesting form in Russia where there exists a language of sorts, most of its words based on four basic profane roots - nouns p...is, wh.0.e, c..t and verb f..k. It is possible to sensibly communicate using just these four basic roots.
Old 17th September 2005, 08:59 PM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

You have made one or two mistakes.

The offset (taken from my head) is 1-4 mV times your gain, 11 in your case (a bit much gain?) this gives you approx. 40-50 mV. The reason why you have so much additional offset is the 100 k at the input. If you want to minimize the offset you should insert a capacitor between 10 k and ground. This will create an offset of 4-10 mV only. The trick is that each input of the opamp should "see" the same DC resistance.
Old 17th September 2005, 09:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Or I just remove 100k resistor ?
Profanity took a very interesting form in Russia where there exists a language of sorts, most of its words based on four basic profane roots - nouns p...is, wh.0.e, c..t and verb f..k. It is possible to sensibly communicate using just these four basic roots.
Old 17th September 2005, 10:00 PM   #4
mzzj is offline mzzj  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VEC7OR
Noo!

you have to aim for equal (dc) resistances in both inputs, if you remove that 100k then you end up with far worse situation as then its 10k||100k(~9k) for -input and infinite for + input.
Old 18th September 2005, 07:18 AM   #5
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VEC7OR
No, because every opamp MUST have a DC path somewhere in order to work. The NE5532 has NPN transistors at the input and those transistors must get base current from somewhere.
Old 21st September 2005, 01:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think I got it now, I should replace 100k resistor in input to 9k resistor, that way both inputs will see the ground through 10k resistance.

Hide this!Advertise here!