LM2931CT weird behaviour

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there.........query.....the LM2931 adj lo drop out reggie .....I notice these chips draw a massive amount of IN current (eg. 80mA... far higher than the load in my case) before zener voltage is reached then it drops way down. This isn't mentioned in the app note.
The bog standard 78 series npn configs don't have this curiousity.................Is there any way of avoiding the initial current draw with the LM2931 ?

richj

richwalters said:
Hi there.........query.....the LM2931 adj lo drop out reggie .....I notice these chips draw a massive amount of IN current (eg. 80mA... far higher than the load in my case) before zener voltage is reached then it drops way down. This isn't mentioned in the app note.

Look at the data sheet. That family of low drop-out linear regs. do have that shown as a function of input voltage.

BZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.