LM3875 GC Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In keeping with the economic benefit of building a LM3875-based stereo gain clone, but also wanting to stay with parts that yield the best sound in the end, I have come to the point where I need to make a transformer decision. Toroidal or EI ? I was considering the Hammond 182T12.......overkill? Not enough? Effect on sound quality?

It occurs to me that the transformer represents a large part of the overall cost. Then there are other considerations, such as a volume control and input selector (I don't have a formal pre-amp). One of my main concerns is that I don't want to use a component that is of a level of quality, and then come in behind it and use another component that my not be optimal that has detrimental effects on the end quality, thus cancelling out the value of the the "good" components. Am I making sense???

Thanks for any insight into this.

Curtis

Just my quick comment from my experience.

Toriadial or EI -- If you can get a good EI and proper located, should not be different. ( loss is more from EI, better consider extra VA). Proper volatge (18-25vac) and enough VA ( 150-240) impacts the sound more.

IMHO, you might build one with standard component first. Exotic component might produce different sound but might not be your taste (i.e. good amp for one, might not be for others). There are many other factors that impacts the sound quality.. including your perference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.