Focusing on wiring cable for gainclone!!!Share ur experience in wiring cable.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2005, 03:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Focusing on wiring cable for gainclone!!!Share ur experience in wiring cable....

Hi guys, i have tried many wiring cable for my 3886NI and 1875NI. And according to me the best wiring cable is microphone cable because it has fiber shield and the sound is flat and natural. My configuration is join two wires as (+) and fiber shield as (-).Before using this microphone i use strand of metal cable (single cable 0,5mm with insulation) which give a good result like microphone cable, but it's sounds 'dry'for me.The other cable is COAXIAL cable. When i use COAXIAL cable my GC sound becomes poor,the middle is not open and the treble become harsh and also give some load to my amp but i get a strong bass.
That's all my tried to get the best wiring cable and i still satisfied with microphone cable as wiring cable.I still to search the best wiring cable to perform the best GC sound.
Choosing the right wiring cable will give some effect to your GC's sound and the changes is quite 'dramatic'. Your GC's sound becomes worse or better.
Lets share ur experience in wiring cable!!

ReGards
-------
TomZ
Old 23rd August 2005, 04:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've been planning to try either twinax or shielded twisted pair (stranded, with braid not foil).

No clue how they'll work.

The idea being that I can earth ground the shield against EMI and treat both lines in the line in as signal. I don't know what the impedance of the cable will do to the sound, my guess is that with those short wire lengths and long wavelengths at audio frequency that it won't matter.

If that doesn't work well, I'll split open an RCA cable and use that. Unless this thread yields better ideas.

Wes
Old 23rd August 2005, 05:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Maybe i should try twisted cat5 cable as wiring cable, but i'm still not sure about the sound.
Old 23rd August 2005, 05:24 AM   #4
zanash is offline zanash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Why not a twisted 0.5mm solid core silver in a ptfe sleeve ? Its relatively cheap, and unbeatable sound quality. There is also a modicum of rfi rejection with the tight twist. Contact me if you need a source for small lengths ie less than 2m.
Old 23rd August 2005, 07:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Maybe i should try solid silver core, but i never try that cable. How about the ground wire??Also using silver solid core??
Old 23rd August 2005, 10:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thomgun_lc
Maybe i should try twisted cat5 cable as wiring cable, but i'm still not sure about the sound.

You should try sheilded cat5 cable. You will be surprised.
Old 23rd August 2005, 11:24 AM   #7
Igla is offline Igla  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Try CAT 5 solid wire.It's cheap and it gives good sound.
Old 23rd August 2005, 03:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Igla
Try CAT 5 solid wire.It's cheap and it gives good sound.
Igla

Have you tried both the solid and the stranded cat5? If so is there a different is the sound?
Old 23rd August 2005, 03:22 PM   #9
zanash is offline zanash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

yes a twisted pair of ag in ptfe sleeve
Old 23rd August 2005, 04:14 PM   #10
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

CAT5 solid wire works well but I would never use it because it is very brittle and therefore has a tendancy to snap after only bending it a few times. I think the stranded stuff would work much better (I don't think there should be any difference is nound), though I also think that microphone cable is a very good idea as the stuff is designed to reject noise since a microphone signal is quite small.

Hide this!Advertise here!