Focusing on wiring cable for gainclone!!!Share ur experience in wiring cable....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, i have tried many wiring cable for my 3886NI and 1875NI. And according to me the best wiring cable is microphone cable because it has fiber shield and the sound is flat and natural. My configuration is join two wires as (+) and fiber shield as (-).Before using this microphone i use strand of metal cable (single cable 0,5mm with insulation) which give a good result like microphone cable, but it's sounds 'dry'for me.The other cable is COAXIAL cable. When i use COAXIAL cable my GC sound becomes poor,the middle is not open and the treble become harsh and also give some load to my amp but i get a strong bass.
That's all my tried to get the best wiring cable and i still satisfied with microphone cable as wiring cable.I still to search the best wiring cable to perform the best GC sound.
Choosing the right wiring cable will give some effect to your GC's sound and the changes is quite 'dramatic'. Your GC's sound becomes worse or better.
Lets share ur experience in wiring cable!!

ReGards
-------
TomZ

I've been planning to try either twinax or shielded twisted pair (stranded, with braid not foil).

No clue how they'll work.

The idea being that I can earth ground the shield against EMI and treat both lines in the line in as signal. I don't know what the impedance of the cable will do to the sound, my guess is that with those short wire lengths and long wavelengths at audio frequency that it won't matter.

If that doesn't work well, I'll split open an RCA cable and use that. Unless this thread yields better ideas. :)

Wes

CAT5 solid wire works well but I would never use it because it is very brittle and therefore has a tendancy to snap after only bending it a few times. I think the stranded stuff would work much better (I don't think there should be any difference is nound), though I also think that microphone cable is a very good idea as the stuff is designed to reject noise since a microphone signal is quite small.

Yes I have.
To my ears and in my sistem stranded CAT5 sounded more harsh in upper mid region.The top was somehow agressive.Similar result as with stranded telephone wire.As I can remember there was not much difference in bas between stranded and solid CAT5.
Solid core CAT5 cables sound quite good comparing to other so called hi-fi cables I've tried - for example: Nordost Flatline Gold, QED Silver cables (similar to profile silver 12 - discontinued), Transparent Audio (can't remember name-they were not cheap) and a few others.
I have solid core CAT5 (two 0.5mm wires per loudspeaker) in my sistem for over a year with no need to replace them.

Igla said:
Yes I have.
To my ears and in my sistem stranded CAT5 sounded more harsh in upper mid region.The top was somehow agressive.Similar result as with stranded telephone wire.As I can remember there was not much difference in bas between stranded and solid CAT5.
Solid core CAT5 cables sound quite good comparing to other so called hi-fi cables I've tried - for example: Nordost Flatline Gold, QED Silver cables (similar to profile silver 12 - discontinued), Transparent Audio (can't remember name-they were not cheap) and a few others.
I have solid core CAT5 (two 0.5mm wires per loudspeaker) in my sistem for over a year with no need to replace them.

Isn't the Cat-5 made from solid-wire pairs, by definition? I never saw a legitimate Cat-5 cable with stranded-wire.

There are teflon sheated Cat-5 if I am not wrong too.

Carlos

THIS IS ALL FROM MEMORY:

Category 5 cable is 24 awg copper wire pairs with N twists per unit length (I forget the numbers), having a nominal impendance of 100 ohms (I think).

Category 5 cable designed for use in TIA/EIA 568-A/B wiring has four pairs, has a sheath diameter of at least 5mm (I think), with the minimal safe turn radius for 100 MHz operation being no more than four times the sheath diameter.

Category 5 cable may be either stranded or solid, the specification doesn't say other wise.

[Note: I haven't read the relevant specifications in about a decade, and I don't work in that field any more]

----------

In practice: 100m Boxes of cable you buy are solid. Patch cables you buy are stranded. Stranded patch cables are much nicer to work with in a crowded rack, but they are a real pain to crimp yourself.

Wes

Dave:

Cat 5e Plenum MAY use a teflon jacket. I have no doubt that a lot of it DOES.

But -- there is no guarantee that it is teflon, unless it says so on the box. A plenum rating merely indicates that it's more fire-retardant than FT-4 (and safe for use in plenums without conduit). I would expect that spraying an appropriate fire-retardant coating on regular thermoplastic would meet the specs.

(Again, caveat reader -- my memory's not as good as it used to be).

Wes

I use Belden 1585a. I got a 1000' spool from ebay for
$39. I'm using a double strand for the signal and am
using 48 strands from the output to the terminal.

My speaker cable is also made of braided (27 pairs
per side) Belden 1585A (Chris Venhaus).

I find the wire very good. I really like HomeGRownAudio
Silver wire but it can add up to be a lot of money.

You need to parallel many Cat5 wires on the output to
get a good bass.

''You need to parallel many Cat5 wires on the output to
get a good bass.''

Best thing is to try.It depends on how much current ludspeakers are drawing.
I only have one wire(0.5mm) for + terminal and one wire(0.5mm) for - terminal on my full range loudspeakers.

h_andree said:
I use Belden 1585a. I got a 1000' spool from ebay for
$39. I'm using a double strand for the signal and am
using 48 strands from the output to the terminal.

My speaker cable is also made of braided (27 pairs
per side) Belden 1585A (Chris Venhaus).

I find the wire very good. I really like HomeGRownAudio
Silver wire but it can add up to be a lot of money.

You need to parallel many Cat5 wires on the output to
get a good bass.

Please define what you are talking about when your saying from the output to the terminal.. Are you talking about the internal amplifier wiring?
When you are talking about "to get good bass" are you talking about the wire you use from the amp to your subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.