Focusing on wiring cable for gainclone!!!Share ur experience in wiring cable....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In this topic we share about internl wiring cable. Because internal wiring cable give some effect in our GC's.
As far i know, CAt-5 cable similiar to UTP cable,is it right??UTP cable is a solid twisted cable, is it ?
I'm still confused about the different between stranded cable and solid cable, what is the different?
Is stranded equal to metal fibre?
What about using coil wire and twisted that coil wire become internal wiring cable?
I'm worried about EMI, because i use EL transformator.

:smash: I think that the input cable should be using shielded cable to prevent from EMI. Because if EMI or noise injected, it will gain to 30x(according to ur gain) and give you a loud noise. And the output cable should be sufficient to deliver current (without make that cable melt).:hot:
Usually i use a bigger wire for ground than + signal.
I think that internal wiring cable is very important to get the best gainclone sound.
:angel:

thomgun_lc said:
In this topic we share about internl wiring cable. Because internal wiring cable give some effect in our GC's.
As far i know, CAt-5 cable similiar to UTP cable,is it right??UTP cable is a solid twisted cable, is it ?
I'm still confused about the different between stranded cable and solid cable, what is the different?
Is stranded equal to metal fibre?
What about using coil wire and twisted that coil wire become internal wiring cable?
I'm worried about EMI, because i use EL transformator.

I work with generators among other things for a living and I have learned (from the Ugly's electrical reference) that solid wire is actually better for carrying current. However I can attest to the fact that is is downright impossible to work with with the larger gauges. Keep in mind that we use wire from 1/0 (1 ott) to 4/0 (ott) cable for most generator wiring. If those cables were not stranded it would be pretty much impossible to handle them because they are not going to flex for you.

Now I'm a newbie but I have saw the post about using Coaxial cable and grounding the shielding to avoid EMI. I instantly wondered why you could not use a insulated wire and then twist bare copper wire around it and ground it to the chassis. I'm sure their is a reason why no one does this but I thought it may help with interfearance.

Steve @ apexjr.com has silver plated copper w/ Teflon insulation in co-ax and shielded twisted pair cheap enough for ANYONE to afford and experiment with.

I use the co-ax for short runs and the twisted pair for longer (>1 ft.) runs. Works fabulous.

Why compromise when a properly designed cable is available inexpensively? Retail, I would not be able to touch the stuff, but surplus is a great thing!!

EDIT: Oh yeah, he has it in larger sizes also for pwr and output wiring. I use the 14ga for internal pwr and the 16 for connection to the binding posts.

:eek:
How about this:
1.Input wiring cable (input terminal --->GC circuit):using shield cable such as microphone cable
2. Output wiring cable(GC circuit---->output terminal):using solid cable/twisted solid cable without shield.

In my GC i use microphone cable for all wiring cable, except:power supply cable.
Maybe i want to change to solid cable from GC circuit to ouput terminal.:angel:

Last night i read "what-hifi" magazine and i saw there was interconnect cable (audioquest) using external active circuit to bias that cable. So, by using that cable(with electronic circuit), we don't need to burn-in that cable and that cable always ready to deliver sound although ur amp is shut down.:eek:
And i want to know how the electronic control devices work(its attach to interconnect cable and using 12v battery,small like a pencil). :bawling:
Interested?

thomgun_lc said:
So, by using that cable(with electronic circuit), we don't need to burn-in that cable and that cable always ready to deliver sound although ur amp is shut down.:eek:

Heh. :clown:

That will sell well. I'm getting sick of kick-starting my speaker cables everytime I want to listen to music. Does it come with a remote so you can shut the cables down when you go away on holidays?

Imagine a cable that's ready to transmit electricity anytime you want! What will they think of next?

:)

thomgun_lc said:
.....And i want to know how the electronic control devices work(its attach to interconnect cable and using 12v battery,small like a pencil). :bawling:.....
Interested?

It is "just" a battery putting a charge on the dielectric. There is no circuit or continuity to speak of. They are using the battery as a space charge for the entire length of the cable.

I have not yet auditioned it, but the theory holds merit.

Please excuse me if I don't debate the merrits of a product.

There will ALLWAYS be some one claiming to make one better, and some claiming its junk.

EVERYTHING in audio is PERSONAL preference. NO rights or wrongs.

If the device works and YOU like it then it is good. There may be better, there may be worse, but if it's yours and YOU like it, that’s all that matters.

No I don't own any AudioQuest products but I really liked the old Midnight cables... I used a friends set in my system and liked them in mine and his...

Hey rabstg,

You are absolutely correct.

The problem with reviewing new cables, especially apparently technologically advanced, good looking, and/or expensive ones, is to judge with your ears and not get caught up in the hype.

I find a healthy level of skepticism is a good foil for the hype.

The audioholics approach is good, they're interested in scientific analysis, but are not completely ignorant of the possibility that a cable may sound different in spite or because of it's construction and cost. It's a pity Audioquest did not take them up on the offer of a blind comparison against zip cord:

"Alternatively we can arrange a controlled DBT with your cables and say 10AWG Zip Cord with a panel of listeners and do a statistical analysis to determine correlation that your cables really do sound "better" and that your reasoning is sound. We are willing to work with you on exposing the truths about your claims to promote better understanding for our readership and the rest of the audio community. Here is your chance to educate the public about a science that is allegedly not well understood and have an independent source peer review and confirm."

That's from this page

Regards,

Michael

;) Wow, after reading some books, i know that cable has important role to deliver sound. Material and cable's geometry are important. Choose the best dielectric insulation and size of the core.And there are many cable geometry, such as parallel, twisted, coax,twisted with dielectric in the middle.
Cable can cause many effect like skin effect.

:eek: Oh, i see, so the cables don't have much effect which audible for us.
But, i think the geometry of the cable is important (twisting technique).
Here is my GC with a Microphone cable:

regards
---------
TomZ:smash:

Attachments

• gc1.jpg
    gc1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 262
I do think cable is important. I'm using 2 pairs of
Cat-5 bcables on the input and 6 conductors from
the output of the chip to the speaker terminal. I'm using
8 chips per amplifier so I'm using a total of 48 Belden
1585A strands for the signal.

In my opinion the effect of all cables can be heard. I once
measured the capacitance of my HomeGrownAudio
interconnect cable to be about 10pF while a high quality Partsexpress cable had a capacitance of 400pF. Depending
on the choice of impedance these effects may become audible.

I do not understand the effect but I always hear the
breaking in effects. It takes 50-100 hours for a new
amp, wires etc to give optimal resolution.

I never use stranded wire anymore. This is after I bought
some silver plated stranded copper speaker wire. This is
one of the worst cables I've tried. This is not to say that
this is true for any stranded cable but I'm no longer
taking that risk.

Harry

rabstg said:

Absolutly!.. But usually NOT at HUMAN audio frequencies..

In the wide band sense cable is a band pass device.

Sorry but upon re-reading I have to clarify...

"But usually NOT at HUMAN audio frequencies" was a comment on skin effect only. Cables MOST certainly affect other characteristics IN the audible spectrum, just skin effect is not one of them. Skin effect usually does not become a factor until the Mhz range, and ARE the way signals are carried in the Ghz range in some systems.. Microwave, Satellite and radar to name a few.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.