Sound quality of chip amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sam9 said:
I know you can force OpAmps into Class A by connecting the output to one of the power pins via a resistor (or more complex arrangement), but I wasn't aware you could do that with chip amps. How would you do it with an LM3886 for example?

Same way. It's an opamp too.

It doesn't have a lot of contact area on the back to dissapate heat regardless of the size of the heatsink and since it is going to be dissapating power regardless of whether a signal is present or not I imagine that would put some sort of limit on the maximum power rails you could use.

Certainly. Like I said, you'd really only want to use it with very high sensitivity speakers so that you can get away with just a handfull of watts.

+/-24 volt rails and a 24 ohm resistor from output to the negative supply will give you about an amp to work with and the device will dissipate about 24 watts.

Bottom line you really want to keep it running single-ended all the time. Going from single-ended class A to compliemntary class B is rather ugly. :)

Obviously this is academic as long as I keep the Magnepans.:D

Absolutely. :)

se

Konnichiwa,

The one said:
Would you mind posting a schematic of the inverted amp you are currently using?

It's the same one that has been going around for ages and originated with me, used Panasonic FC for PSU , RC55 for resistors and Epcos (formerly Siemens) 4.7uF stacked film capacitors for input DC blocking and PSU bypassing on the chip....

Schottky diodes rectifination and some surplus 500VA+ mains transfomers, still like my SE & PP Valve Amp's better, but that little chip gizmo punches well above it's weightclass.

Sayonara

I think amp topology may also say something about the person's ideals of music... which is why topology is useless to argue about in the end. Kinda like trying to cure the symptom and not the cause?

People who are hardcore about chip amps obviously percieve reproduced music differently than those who are hardcore about discrete designs. Or maybe they are just passionate about different things..? hmm..

My opinion is that Kimura San did have balls for taking something that was already there and just prettying it up with some mystique and jacking up the price. But no more or less balls than the guys who buy some pretty looking wire, put expensive terminations on them, give them cool names and sell them with a 1000% markup..

I personally don't look up to him that much because i was listening to a (much much cheaper) commercial chip amp a few years before gaincard hit the crowd. But that's just me. Still... he's DEFINETLY laughing!

Well he's got a lot of something selling such low cost circuits for so much $$$$$.

Hehehe. True. That has been one of my criticisms of 47 Lab, along with certain of their marketing claims, like the "only 9 parts per channel" claim.

Sorry, I just can't excited about that or about $1,000 cables either. Maybe it is a "rip off", but I don't think the victims are starving widows and orphans. My impression of the people who buy this stuff is if they weren't spending there they would spending foolishly somewhere else.

A well designed Discrete Amplifier is better than Chip

Discrete Amplifier sound quality is far better than the Chip Amplifier. That's why most PA Amplifier often equipped with Discrete Amplifier. It is a comparison between Sound Quality Vs. Sound Output.

Attachments

• Modified Swa 3055 100w.jpg
    Modified Swa 3055 100w.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 256
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.