where do you get your heat sinks ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2005, 09:44 PM   #1
percy is offline percy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default where do you get your heat sinks ?

I am trying to find a heat sink(TO-220) for a standalone mono LM1875 amp I am going to build and just can't find one with the specs that I am looking for.
I believe I need something with a dissipation of 19-20W and a thermal resistance of atleast 3C/W or better. I tried digikey, mouser, allied but either I could found suitable dissipation or thermal resitance, but not both. They all carry the same Aavid Thermalloy heat sinks. Where else can I try (in usa) ?
Old 10th August 2005, 02:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

EBay is a good place to look. Search on Heat Sink (two words). "Business and Industrial" and "Consumer Electronics" are good catagories to then look in.

I have used this guy:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbarrredboss

Very good. I ordered a couple 24" sections and had him cut (for free) into 4" pieces for a parts group buy. Very nice. Small enough for Chip or small trasistor applications, and a good size to double up for larger amps. I believe everyone was happy with the sinks, which have 2 LM3886s mounted on a 4" piece.
Old 10th August 2005, 03:14 AM   #3
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianDonegan
EBay is a good place to look. Search on Heat Sink (two words). "Business and Industrial" and "Consumer Electronics" are good catagories to then look in.

I have used this guy:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbarrredboss

Very good. I ordered a couple 24" sections and had him cut (for free) into 4" pieces for a parts group buy. Very nice. Small enough for Chip or small trasistor applications, and a good size to double up for larger amps. I believe everyone was happy with the sinks, which have 2 LM3886s mounted on a 4" piece.

Brian that guy yuo just posted a link to on ebay. HE IS SUPER SUPER GOOD. i bought all my heat sinks from him and excellent service he suprized me with black anodized ones too. : O ) Good guy has good product too.
Old 10th August 2005, 07:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I get mine from Ebay.

Howard
Old 10th August 2005, 02:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you!
Old 10th August 2005, 03:51 PM   #6
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

I've gotten excellent deals at American Science and Surplus. There is a retail outlet near me and I can usually pick up heat sinks sufficient for 387x and 478x chips for under $2.

They have a website- www.sciplus.com and may have some online. Of course since they are either surplus or overstocks or removed from equipment you never know what you might find (but that's half the fun).
Old 10th August 2005, 04:09 PM   #7
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Me, too. Ebay.

It looks like you were tinking of a PCB mounted heatsink. I'm not sure that works well except at very low powers like 20W or less. I tried that once and found a source for 3 inch high finned Avid-Thermolloy PBC mounted types fot TO-247. They were barely acceptable thermally and were so big that they could flex the PCB enough to crack solder joints. A "good" idea that wasn't.

Anyway if money is no object there are two other sources

www.mmmetals.com, and
www.conradheatsinks.com

The products are good but it may be expensive for what you are doing.

One more idea if you are a scrounger. This worked OK for me. Sometimes you can find used/surplus heatsinks for CPUs. Look for ones with the longest forest of posts you can find -- lots of surface area. Individually they are too small, but if you get several and bolt them very tightly (with thermal grease in between) to a piece of aluminum plate you can make a fair heatsink for almost nothing. When I do this the results are ugly but it works.
Old 14th August 2005, 06:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I usually borrow mine from scrap electronics. A good source is old PC heatsinks...There's always friends and people out there that are throwing away PCs or something else, so I always take it off their hands and use the heatsinks (among other things) from them. Making a TO-220 heatsink is pretty easy to make out of any heatsink too...I use a dremel to drill a hole through it and then put a screw and nut to hold the chip in place.

-Segasonicfan
Old 14th August 2005, 01:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have a few cpu heat sinks lying around and I did think in that direction but the trouble is I have no clue what thermal resistance they are. You can get an idea of its dissipation rating from the type of cpu its being used on, but what about the thermal resistance ?
Old 15th August 2005, 12:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Heatsinks in the UK

Anyone know of any sources in the United Kingdom for good heatsinks?

// J

Hide this!Advertise here!