My LM3886 GainClone almost works!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got the gainclone bug bad after reading Decibel Dungeon, Electonet, and here. This is cool! I'm learning lots of stuff.

I have put together the Decibel Dungeon point-to-point inverted one, and Electronet's power supply pcb.

It makes good sound, with no humming or hissing, but it heats up real hot. Besides the heatsink, the resistors between pin 3 and the Zobel get too hot. They're two 0.47 ohm 5 watt ones in parallel.

Does this mean I've done something wrong with the grounding? The rails measure OK, -V-0-V+.

One thing I don't know what to do with, is the power cable's 3rd prong grounding wire. I had it soldered to the ground of the PS's pcb, where the capacitors come together. Then I moved it to the body of my transformer. I don't detect a difference. The transformer doesn't have a 3rd wire for the 115V power cord's ground.

Thanks for your replies! My posts are being looked at by the moderator, so it's a little slow for a while.

There's no amp chassis, but after I removed the ground wire from the transformer body, the heat problem stopped. Everything sounded good and worked well for about an hour and a half.

Then, I broke off the output pin.

The PCB on Electronet for the gainclone power supply, that's a handy thing. The guy who put that up, told me where to solder my AC ground wire. So, i'm gonna try again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.