Fuses, primary, rails, current limiters and channels?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,
Thsi is my first chip amp and torroidal PS (Brian's 4780 kit, but 6 channel). I am using an Avel 800va. I was hoping to fuse each channel, but I am realizing that not so easy, unless you fuse the rails and I am not so sure that is a good idea incase one goes and the other does not. Also, I considering a current limiter in series with the primary fuse -- for 6CH, I was thinking of a 8A current limiter and a 10 amp fuse. What do you guys do for the PS? Thanks for any inputs.
-BG

That depends on the particular amp. Some topologies will not like it and may swing the output to the other rail, some will be fine. It's a fault condition that is worth testing for when designing an amp.

Whether the chip amp you're using will be alright or not I don't know, but I suspect that it will be fine, since such devices are usually quite robust.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.