NOOB! Thinking of building a 4 ch 3875 amp - questions.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2005, 05:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default NOOB! Thinking of building a 4 ch 3875 amp - questions..

Hello,

Just a bit of background. My electronics knowledge is limited to having built passive crossovers and replacing frazzled components so forgive me if these are really silly questions please.

I want to build a 4 ch amp to drive a set of bi-wireable speakers I'm building (8 Ohm or thereabouts) so the 3875 kit from madaboutsound.com looks like a good bet because all I have to do is soldering and case it up which I won't have a problem with.

I want to use 2 dual mono kits with 2 seperate transformers in a 2U 19" rackmount case.

My questions are...

Can I use a single set of inputs and connect them to the imputs of both amp kits or do I have to have 2 sets of inputs?

If I do have to have 2 sets of inputs, is there anywhere that does a pre-amp kit with dual pre-outs? Just a basic one with 5 inputs and no phono stage will be fine.

Sorry again if thse are really silly questions.
Old 3rd August 2005, 11:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sorted now.

I have found a preamp with dual pre-outs.
Old 5th August 2005, 07:56 AM   #3
Dazza is offline Dazza  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Dazza
Hey Quickie,
I have done exactly what you are planning. You can check out mine in these forums. There is some good pics which should inspire you.
Or Click here

Cheers

Dazza
Old 5th August 2005, 08:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hiya D,

WOW!!!

Nice job

That looks fab.

That's a lot more complex than what I was planning, I like the idea of adding speaker protection - it there a kit speaker protection module kit available? If I tried to build one from a diagram it would probably end up receiving radio 1 or something instead

Nice, Q
Old 6th August 2005, 06:06 AM   #5
Dazza is offline Dazza  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Dazza
Hey Q,
Glad u liked my amp. If you visit here you will find a speaker protection kit, actually you should be able to find plenty to suit your needs. As the site is here in Australia, the postage might be a bit expensive with the exchange rate and such.
Might be worth looking into, see how ya go.

Cheers

Dazza
Old 7th August 2005, 08:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks D,

In have had a search around and come up with this.

http://www.electronic-kits-and-projects.com/1112.htm

If seems to offer protection against various things and also soft start so it seems ideal. Lets hope it sounds OK.

Managed to resist the urge to buy LED VU meters too

Cheers, Q
Old 7th August 2005, 01:08 PM   #7
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quickshift, if you have any more questions, you may find them answered on the Gainclone pages at Decibel Dungeon!
Old 7th August 2005, 01:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Cheers Nuuk,

I have looked at that site and a few others over the last few weeks, I didn't really understand much of them though

I promise I have tried to answer my questions myself, like I say, I'm new to all this I'm afraid.

Anyway, I think I have all the info I need to lob something together now albeit merely assembled from kits.

Hide this!Advertise here!