0.1% resistors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2005, 01:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 0.1% resistors

Has anyone bought 0.1% resistors from Mouser?

They sell Holsworthy, IRC and Vishay/Dale types.

Has anyone bought the axial-leaded Holsworthy types and checked if the terminals are copper or steel?

What about the others?

Carlos
Old 28th July 2005, 02:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Default Re: 0.1% resistors

Quote:
Originally posted by carlmart
Has anyone bought 0.1% resistors from Mouser?

They sell Holsworthy, IRC and Vishay/Dale types.

Has anyone bought the axial-leaded Holsworthy types and checked if the terminals are copper or steel?

What about the others?

Carlos
Yes, I have bought the IRC type from Mouser. It looks to me like the leads are steel.
Old 28th July 2005, 02:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have some of the Vishale/Dale from Mouser. The leads appear to be steel or whatever alloy.
Old 28th July 2005, 02:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: 0.1% resistors

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ White

Yes, I have bought the IRC type from Mouser. It looks to me like the leads are steel.
IRC's 0.1% are the better priced at Mouser. The IRC datasheet says the terminals are "Solder Coated Copper Leads". But they can be copper-clad steel, as most coaxial cables are.

In any case, these resistors are even more expensive than the LM318 itself, and we need four of them per channel.

Has anyone tried other brands and suppliers?

As I have a lot of 1% 47K and 22K resistors, I could still try at least matching pairs to 0.1% for each channel.

Carlos
Old 28th July 2005, 02:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Default Re: Re: Re: 0.1% resistors

Quote:
Originally posted by carlmart

IRC's 0.1% are the better priced at Mouser. The IRC datasheet says the terminals are "Solder Coated Copper Leads". But they can be copper-clad steel, as most coaxial cables are.

In any case, these resistors are even more expensive than the LM318 itself, and we need four of them per channel.

Has anyone tried other brands and suppliers?

As I have a lot of 1% 47K and 22K resistors, I could still try at least matching pairs to 0.1% for each channel.

Carlos
Yep, well matched 1% metal film is fine there. I ask about this quite some time ago.

The IRCs do look really cool though.
Old 28th July 2005, 02:37 PM   #6
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm currently working on building some Aleph-X amps that require careful matching of parts across the circut. I purchased some Dale RN60D 1% from Mouser and used my LCR meter to match them. If I needed 12 of some particular value resistor, I purchased 16 of them. I was then able to find plenty of matches at about the 0.01% level.

There really is no need that I can see to spend extra money on .1% from production.

Eric
Old 28th July 2005, 03:18 PM   #7
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Opps, forgot to include this: The spec sheet on the Dales indicates that they are solder coated copper for the RN series.
Old 28th July 2005, 04:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Matching

My LCR meter only reads 100 ohm increments when on a scale for the 22K and 47K resistors. This only gets me a little past 0.5% for the 22K and 0.25% for the 47K. Next option is the Simpson 260, but parallax makes reading any closer pretty iffy.
All the 1% Dale I checked are non-magnetic. So you should be fine with these. The internal end cap where the leads connect to the film is any area where most generics use steel. It is hard to tell, but sometimes the body will stick to a magnet and the leads will not.
I am still bummed after measuring out enough old Holcos to build two amps and finding the leads will not fit the holes. Guess if this is my biggest problem, things are good.

George
Old 28th July 2005, 04:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to slackman
Are you in need of the exact values or do you need same values for two circuits (stereo ex.)?

If you only need same values, take two of the same charge. They'll be nearly the same, less then 1% difference.

Michael
Old 28th July 2005, 04:35 PM   #10
mzzj is offline mzzj  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slackman
Are you in need of the exact values or do you need same values for two circuits (stereo ex.)?

If you only need same values, take two of the same charge. They'll be nearly the same, less then 1% difference.

Michael
Sometimes there is difficulties finding even 0.1% difference from same batch of 1% resistors. ie trying to find 1.005 kohms from 1.0k resistors and after measuring twenty of them you end up with 20 pcs of 0.995k

Hide this!Advertise here!