What can I do with this tranny?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey I've got a transformer laying around, was wondering what voltages I can get out of it after rectification. Its 24vac @ .8 amps center tapped, and 11 vac @ 1 amp ct. So, +/- 12 volts and +/- 5.5v I'm assuming. I know rectification of an ac voltage rasies voltage, but how much voltage can I get total +/- out of the 24v ct section, and at what amperage?

wow, you do need a multimeter... ill get back to that.

transformers simply transform the size of voltage due to a ratio if that makes sense. so, if you give it 120vac and it gives you 12vac out, its a 10:1 ratio. its just rated at 120vac input, but techincally, its just a ratio. you could give it 220vac in, and get 24vac out.

it does not however change AC to DC. that is for the rectifier, diodes, etc... the tranformer just changes the size of the voltage.

now, back to the multimeter thing... you MUST have one for this hobby, period. there are tons of people saying you need a scope, variac, etc... but, you CANNOT build anything sucessfully without a meter. i would put the hobby on hold until you can get one. look for used ones at garage sales, maybe friends have them for sale, etc. there should be a way to get one really cheap. hell, mow some lawns in the nieghborhood lawns or something :)

there is ALWAYS a way to get some cash for your hobby legally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.