Preamp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2005, 02:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ThSpeakerDude88
Default Preamp

hey, does anyone know of a cheap and very simple mic preamp I can build? I want to install it in my mini amp I built so i can plug my guitar right in to it. I also want it to have a rather hot output so I can have distortion.

I have a few transistors, dont know what kind tho. I'd like to be able to find whatever I need at radio shack. Also, I have a 12au6 and 12be6 tubes, can either be used as a preamp for guitar?
Old 20th July 2005, 02:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

http://www.runoffgroove.com/articles.html They have several simple designs you can stick in front of a chipamp and likely do what your're lookin' for.
Old 20th July 2005, 03:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

aye... I just need a simple mic preamp, so i can plug my guitar into an amp. stopboxes come AFTER i actually have a preamp

I was just wondering if I can use any of the transistors they have at radio shack to build one with that sounds good and has no hum? Im goin to radio shack today.
Old 21st July 2005, 08:40 AM   #4
Mad_K is offline Mad_K  Norway
diyAudio Member

How about this?

http://www.madaboutsound.com/prod.asp?pname=MPK
Old 21st July 2005, 03:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

aye! I found exactly what I needed for my amp! cept its 230 volt! do they have american versions?

http://www.madaboutsound.com/prod_det.asp?product_id=8
Old 21st July 2005, 04:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThSpeakerDude88
aye! I found exactly what I needed for my amp! cept its 230 volt! do they have american versions?
It would appear to be No. Why not get one locally http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....up_ID=605&SO=2
Old 21st July 2005, 04:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

ooook........thats new....will def. look into that! Thanks!
Old 21st July 2005, 04:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

hmm.. it says for the 22 + 22 volt one (160va) that the current at 22 volts is 3.64 amps. Is that too much for my chip amp to handel? ( its a TDA7264)

I dont get it. in the manual it says the transformer can put out various voltages at various current ratings. Is it variable? *is confused *
Old 21st July 2005, 06:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

From the questions you ask I think you may not know the basics in electronics. Please forgive me if I am wrong.

Doing DIY audio is alright if you know how to deal with voltages and currents, and you should start with basic stuff as you learn your way up. Going straight to a chip may be problematic too.

It can also be very dangerous, not to speak of being very expensive, both in the things you build and destroy as on the others your interface your projecs with and may get burnt.

It may be better to get a ready made module, where you can plug your guitar and get along.

Chip amplifier projects are easier to get running, but you still have to know quite a bit. But this chips have also contributed to man prices going down, so you will still be benefitted from them.

Carlos
Old 21st July 2005, 07:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

well I already have a power supply for my guitar amp thats suitable, I'm sorry, this was a little off topic, the transformer question was about my portable audio amp that I built , not for guitar. By the way, every chip amp I've built sofar is still working ( with the exception of the 12 watt one I fried before I understood operating a chip AT its maximum supply voltage was bad...very bad..) Anyways , about the transformer, I know I need a regulation circuit. I was simply asking what amperage my amp needs and how to find out/calculate it.

Hide this!Advertise here!