LM based chipamps, What speaker wire are people using? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2005, 03:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default LM based chipamps, What speaker wire are people using?

I have read on a couple of occasions that the original gaincard uses very thin (24 gauge i think) speaker wire and was just interested what people ae using on theirs and what people thoughts in general about that sort of thing are.

I am currently using some revatively normal multi stranded off the shelf speaker cable, QED something or other. I have been thinking about using some cat 5e cable i have got but wondered what people think would be the right number of strands to use. ie how many cable runs to use. Going by 47 labs i would only use one twisted pair, any ideas?

Fil
Old 11th July 2005, 03:41 PM   #2
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

i have made and used cat 5e cable and i found it not to be the best.

this is what im using now and it sounds sweet.

cheers.

http://www.decorp.com/dewire.htm
Old 12th July 2005, 02:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: LM based chipamps, What speaker wire are people using?

Quote:
Originally posted by filholder
I have read on a couple of occasions that the original gaincard uses very thin (24 gauge i think) speaker wire
I am on the other end of this. I use bi-wired Kimber 8TC which means 32 strands of Kimber TCSS going to each speaker. I like the cable a lot, but I can't offer an objective opinion about it. I purchased it 12 years ago and have used it ever since. Anyhow, the point is that it works fine.
Old 12th July 2005, 07:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
i would only use one twisted pair

You may like it, who knows? I certainly hate it. Cat5 is tonally lean and a single pair will make it intolerable to my ears. Especially with a GC.

I have had reasonably good sound with the opposite - midrange Transparent cable. It manages to balance the GC tonality into reasonably listenable sound.

The copper foil is also not bad and certainly much better than any CAT5 concoction.
Old 12th July 2005, 07:56 AM   #5
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I found a single twisted pair of Cat5 a bit lean for my liking so I use two twisted pairs and have not felt the need to try anytihng else.

Of course now the issue has been raised (again), I'll be tempted to try something else!
Old 12th July 2005, 09:18 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Nuuk

Have you tried copper foils from an Alphacore inductor?
Old 12th July 2005, 10:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Have you tried copper foils from an Alphacore inductor?
Noy yet, it's one of those jobs that is on the 'to do' list! Where can I get hold of an Alphacore inductor? Or are there any alternatives?
Old 12th July 2005, 10:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Nuuk when you say 2 twisted pair i image you mean 2 twisted pairs from one cat 5 cable, as opposed to 2 cat 5 cables?

Sorry to bring this up i am just interested what people are using and wanted to see what i should be playing with. Of course i guess that the type of speaker you are using must have a fair degree of effect on such things.

I might try some different cat5 arrangment this week end, got a 300meter roll of some good solid core cat5e of a skip a few weeks ago so i keen to try it in various configurations. It is also screened which is handy since i use my hifi around loads of other electronic stuff such as games consoles and tv etc.

I will have a play anyway, no harm in trying. Should also have a SMPS powered t-amp up and running this weeknd, gonna be fun!!

fil
Old 12th July 2005, 10:59 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nuuk when you say 2 twisted pair i image you mean 2 twisted pairs from one cat 5 cable, as opposed to 2 cat 5 cables?
Yes Phil, I take that horrible stiff sleeving off and separate the four pairs of wires into two pairs, using a 'pair of pairs' ( ) for each speaker.

PS I don't notice any difference between using a pair for each conductor and one wire from each pair for a conductor. Hope you are not too hot to understand that!
Old 12th July 2005, 11:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks Nuuk,

Ok i give that a try. No thankfully the office has aircon, though the cycle ride to work this morning got me very .

Off at a tagent sorry guys but do you think i should add some caps after my SMPS before the t-amp boards just interested. I measured the outputs last night from my router power supply and got 60mv of ac. I think it might be an idea to put a few caps before the t-amp power input to reduce this a bit, any ideas how much?

Fil

Hide this!Advertise here!