diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   A few chip amp questions (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/60241-few-chip-amp-questions.html)

bigwill 5th July 2005 11:15 AM

A few chip amp questions

I'm thinking of buildling a chip amp but I'm still unclear on a few things.

1. What's the difference between inverting and non-inverting? Obviously one inverts the signal, but why do people seem to prefer wiring up their chip amps so they invert? What're the sonic differences?

2. What is "snubberizing"?

3. Why do higher capacitances on the power supply hurt the high frequency responce? Surely the bigger the better?

and finally

4. What are the benefits of putting a buffer in front of the chip?

Any info would be much appreciated :)

Nuuk 5th July 2005 12:09 PM

Quote:

1. What's the difference between inverting and non-inverting? Obviously one inverts the signal, but why do people seem to prefer wiring up their chip amps so they invert? What're the sonic differences?
This can't be told - only heard!

Quote:

2. What is "snubberizing"?
Adding components across larger caps to negate the negative effect they have on the GC.

Quote:

3. Why do higher capacitances on the power supply hurt the high frequency responce? Surely the bigger the better?
I beleive that it has something to do with impedance.

Quote:

In the case of the inverting GC it isolates it's input loop from the previous stage.

bigwill 5th July 2005 12:26 PM

Thanks! Do you prefer inverting or non-inverting?

Nuuk 5th July 2005 12:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks! Do you prefer inverting or non-inverting?
Don't be personal! :mad:

Ha ha, inverting for me (which I think that I may have said on Decibel Dungeon)! :cool:

bigwill 5th July 2005 12:52 PM

How about I make my buffer inverting and have an inverted gainclone so it's the sound of inverted but not inverting! :cool:

Nuuk 5th July 2005 12:56 PM

Quote:

How about I make my buffer inverting and have an inverted gainclone so it's the sound of inverted but not inverting!
Not quite the same thing but don't let me stop you trying anything. That's half the fun! ;)

Russ White 5th July 2005 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bigwill
How about I make my buffer inverting and have an inverted gainclone so it's the sound of inverted but not inverting! :cool:

Actually that works quite well, and it is the approach several very good designers have taken, including Mauro Penasa.

Here is a link.
Non inverting GC with inverting power stage.

Doovieman 5th July 2005 10:40 PM

Re: A few chip amp questions

Quote:

Originally posted by bigwill
I'm thinking of buildling a chip amp but I'm still unclear on a few things.

They don't. Anyone who's taken an introduction to analog circuit design course know's that that is simply a ridiculous claim. More capacitance means less ripple on the power supply which is ALWAYS a good thing (if you're final goal is DC, which it is).

and finally

An ideal opamp has infinite input impedance. Whatever chip (or circuit in the case of discrete transistors) you endup using will, of course, have a finite input impedance. The addition of a buffer (in the form of another opamp/tube/fets) will increase the input impedance of your amplifier, which should make it more ideal. If you're really wanting to put a buffer in, just use an opamp with a gain of 1 or maybe 2 if you want some extra kick.

Any info would be much appreciated :)

Hope that helps...

Doovieman

Doovieman 5th July 2005 10:41 PM

Sorry for messing up with the quotes... My comments are between your questions...

bigwill 6th July 2005 09:52 PM