Power Supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2005, 04:59 AM   #1
VoLCoM is offline VoLCoM  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Power Supply

Hi, i have just bought a GainClone Kit from audiosector.com and i was wondering what kind of transformer i needed. i have read on a couple of website that toroidal were better for audio. but what do i need exactly i don'T really know much about transformers

or can i use batteries?? which option will be better???

thanks
Old 30th June 2005, 05:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

For a non bridged gainclone the suggested transformer is a ~240VA 24V dual tapped toroid. You can find one at www.partsexpress.com along with most electronics suppliers.

This would work well for most any power supply, but personally for my next gainclone I'm going to use carlosFM's regulated snubberized PSU.
Old 30th June 2005, 05:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

what's the difference between Regulated and Non-Regulated??? and do i use the same transformer?
Old 30th June 2005, 06:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Honestly, sounds like you need to use the search and do more reading before you dive in head first...

But regulated basically means that you have regulator chips or some precise way of controlling the output voltage.

In our case we can use something like an LM317T, LM337, LM350, etc etc etc as a linear voltage regulator.

ex.

Input 37V

Desired output 32V

Set regulator to output 32V.....Regulator must dissipate the 5V as heat.

There ya go, regulated voltage supply. If you want to see how they work exactly, go lookup LM317T on google, or go to www.national.com and lookup the LM317 and read the datasheet.

Also, there is a thread started by CarlosFM where he made an excellent regulated snubberized PSU. Don't use the design early in the thread, he has a later revision like 15 pages deep. Read through the entire thing.
Old 30th June 2005, 06:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot!!! i tought that regulated power supply were like.... converting power from AC to DC

so it means that a gainclone use AC current ??? or the transformer transforms it into DC but with positive and negative and 0??
Old 1st July 2005, 03:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

120VAC comes into the transformer primaries

Transformer turns it into say... 32VAC

It goes through a rectifier which turns it into a pulsed DC

Capacitors smooth down the pulsed DC into a nicer DC

A regulator will keep the DC at a constant voltage.

In all honesty, pick up a basic electronics book. I actually have a spare book that is for non engineers here if you would like to buy it for $25+shipping that goes through all the basics very nicely. I highly recommend you take me up on the offer. You shouldn't be playing with line level voltage if you don't understand these basics. I'm not trying to be an ***, just telling the truth.
Old 1st July 2005, 07:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ThSpeakerDude88
I believe its the latter, BUT IM NOT SURE, DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! I dont want you frying your new amp

I would also like to ask this question, because the amp I'm building uses +/- voltage as well. Am I right about it being DC and not AC?
Old 1st July 2005, 11:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to demogorgon
like asgorath say's, learn to walk before trying to run.
if you dont grasp the basics of electrics and electronics, then it would be wise to master that before trying to build a amp.

and yes, asgorath's explanation is correct.

-Marius
Old 2nd July 2005, 08:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ok, for the book Contact me masterkil@hotmail.com

Thank you! waiting to receive my amplifier should have it like monday or tuesday and i'll buy a transformer i'll post some news
Old 2nd July 2005, 08:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

what power supply shoud i choose??? in 250VA what secondary voltage??? because if the voltage is too low the amp won't work and if the voltage too high the amperage won'T be high enough to power the amp?? would 30volts be enough?

Hide this!Advertise here!