Gainclone Component Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2005, 01:52 AM   #1
shyfx is offline shyfx  Australia
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Default Gainclone Component Help

Hi guy, I am building a gainclone and I need some help with component selection.

I am using that schematic, and I have selected so far:
this is an easy one
I have chosen for the 0.1 and 0.22 uF caps respectively.

From that picture, the two 0.1uF caps look more like crossover capacitors. I can't seem to find any polyproylene caps in a store close to me at 0.1 and 0.22 uF though. The lowest I have seen is 1uF.
Should those mains suppresion caps be right, or are they completely inappropriate?

Also, I am confused as to what shoudl be used for the 47uF.

Does that seem suitable at all?

I also want to ask about tolerances. Which components should be the highest tolerance? I suspend the feedback resistor? I have allocated on my PCB up to 5 resistors (since I won't have access to high quality components) so that I can get the closest I can to 216K. I have 5% 10K 1W carbon film, 1% 56K 1/2W metal film and 5% 100R 1W carbon film. Should they be fine in terms of tolerances and power handling?

Thanks for any help guys!!

  Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 08:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
Greg Erskine's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sydney/Australia
hi shyfx,

I have used RE6236 and they are OK.

Next, don't use X2 caps. They usually are used across the incoming 240Vac near the switch. Use the MKT polyster instead.

Is 47uF the right value? I have used 4.7uF NP crossover caps - RY-6904 or RY-6954

Don't worry about R tolerances, it doesn't matter. All resistors are OK, 0.5 or 1 watt.

Better components are available on line from RSComponents.
Greg Erskine
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 09:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA
.1 uF is commonly found via a small high voltage box cap (polyprop)

Those big yellow caps in the pictures are film caps. They go directly in the signal path and should be of the highest quality possible to block DC, but not hurt your SQ. If you had a crossover with those caps then good for you, they're probaly good caps.

47uF for a DC blocking cap seems excessive. I use 4.7uF film caps in my amps and they do a fantastic job. People on a budget even use .1uF box polyprop caps, but at a reduced sound quality. My best recommendation is get a good film cap of the highest value possible.

For this amp I don't have any good advice as far as resistors go. All I can say is the feedback resistor should be as close to the pins as possible and it will dissipate almost no power (small resistor).

I think the 100 ohm near chassis ground should be a higher power (not sure)

I think standard tolerances throughout will work just fine. If you want the two channels of your amp equal volume you should probaly match up your feedback resistors closely.

Good luck, and will someone with more experience than I double check my recommendations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 10:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: melbourne
Send a message via MSN to vindicare
Default cheaper than jaycar

check out especially their stuff on sale. You'll be able to get some of the stuff there cheaper, i got the .1uf mkt caps for 10c each today. They are in melbourne just near monash uni (clayton)
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2005, 03:57 PM   #5
shyfx is offline shyfx  Australia
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Thanks guys for the help

re: yes they are good, but my friend and i were getting together to make a few. I hope in the future to order some blackgate, rikken, plitron and other fancy components, but this is just going to be a Protel exercise in making some nice pcb's and getting some sound happening in my new room in the shed and for these small speakers now powering the bedtime music

If anyone want's my PCB's, just ask and I will gladly give them up
They are in PDF format and thus far have printed to scale perfectly. I use the laser-toner transfer method to make my PCB's at home. Although still trying to find the best paper, for wider traces its working just fine.

I never heard of Rockby, might have to go out that way to get components some time. Thanks for that.

asgorath: I think i am going to just use a 5W wirewound 10%, seems to be for filtering out noise from the earth, so it shouldn't hurt I hope


Toner transfer PCB
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2005, 07:38 AM   #6
shyfx is offline shyfx  Australia
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
I built my amp, DC offset is good, now to test audio!

Thanks for the help guys.

  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can you id this component moss99 Parts 8 27th March 2009 08:02 AM
ID of component Organist Solid State 10 2nd August 2007 06:52 PM
what component do I need? Raj1 Pass Labs 1 4th January 2003 10:20 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2