Active XOs, and Amp built into speaker, or seperate - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2005, 12:54 AM   #1
akunec is offline akunec  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Active XOs, and Amp built into speaker, or seperate

Im about to start an expensive, active 3 way speaker system. I was planning on powering them with a 6 ch gainclone, fed from an active crossover based on the Active Filter One board.

At first I planned to put the 6ch amp in a case, and the active xover in another case. Now, I'm thinking it might be a better idea to just build the crossover and amp inside the speakers themselves.

A problem with this idea is that then I would have to plug the speakers into an outlet somewheres. Turning off the speakers at night, would require me to go behind each speaker and turn off the switch. Also, I wouldn't want to run a power cord next to an interconnect due to RFI.

However, there are a few advantages of putting the amps/xos in the speakers. I would be able to solder the xos directly to the amps, therefore i wouldn't require rca jacks or interconnects. I wouldn't require banana jacks, and only short wires are required, making an easier load on the amp. I also wouldnt have to buy a couple of cases, saving me some money.

Here's the question, should I build the amp and xover inside the speakers or inside cases?

Thanks
Alex
Old 10th May 2005, 02:57 AM   #2
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Inside the cases would be a good choice as u can pair them with different kind of speakers
Old 10th May 2005, 06:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A problem with this idea is that then I would have to plug the speakers into an outlet somewheres. Turning off the speakers at night, would require me to go behind each speaker and turn off the switch. Also, I wouldn't want to run a power cord next to an interconnect due to RFI.
No need to creep behind the speakers for switching on and off the hole thing.
There are nice & simple signal activated power switching circuits (->google) , which switch power on and off dependend if there is an audio signal.
When there is an audio signal coming the speakers power on. You can configure a delay (I usually make this half an hour or so) after everything will be powered down when there is no more audio signal.
Such a circuit is very handy and indispensable for active speakers IMO.

If You put the amps/crossovers in a seperate enclosure You`d have the power cord next to an interconnect also, or not, depends on Your design...

I`d vote for integrating amps/crossovers into the speakers.
Old 10th May 2005, 07:53 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cocolino
`d vote for integrating amps/crossovers into the speakers.
having amps in the speakers has some decided advantages, but i always worry about vibrations/microphonics in the amps from the speakers... people go as far as removing the passive XO from inside a speaker, a power amp is much more delicate.

dave
Old 10th May 2005, 01:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
having amps in the speakers has some decided advantages, but i always worry about vibrations/microphonics in the amps from the speakers... people go as far as removing the passive XO from inside a speaker, a power amp is much more delicate.
Hi Dave,

I should have been more precise.
Of course I did not mean that the electronics should share the same volume than the drivers.

Having built a couple of active speakers already I know there`re a few things to consider (if I say "into the enclosure" now, I don`t mean the volume where the drivers are):

heat:
I wouldn`t try to incorporate a couple of Class-A amps into a speaker box but I see no problems with a couple of "Gainclones".

serviceability:
I wouldn`t make fixed installations in the speaker enclosure but build everything electronic related in a solid metal enclosure, just like stand-alone gear, only that it is much less work as it hasn`t to be nice looking.
The electronic box and the connections amps/speakers should be made in a way that the electronics part can be removed out of the box without much hassle.
I`m thinking about an electronic enclosure with "front"-plate and handles as some sort of "plug-in", gliding on ball-bearing rails (such things for heavy drawers) in and out of the enclosure (while for example at the same time making the amps/speaker contacts) .

vibrations/microphonics:
I think it`s not too difficult to decouple the electronic box from the speaker box in a way that vibrations do not have a chance.
Springs, strings, rubber/silicon feets....... I think every skilled DIYer will come up with a couple of decent and not too complicated/expensive solutions for this.

off topic question for Dave (as he`s moderator):
is there a way that after logging in I do not get logged out automatically every 5 minutes (this get`s really annoying while writing a post) ?
Old 11th May 2005, 02:34 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cocolino
off topic question for Dave (as he`s moderator):
is there a way that after logging in I do not get logged out automatically every 5 minutes (this get`s really annoying while writing a post) ?
Usually that is a cookie problem, try deleting your caches & your diyAudio cookies.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!