Power supply Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a second amplifier... and the amp is together ok, but untested. The power supply doesn't perform as expected.
It is a 15VAC wall wart rated 1t 2.4A, and when running it through a bride-on-a-chip (rated at 25A) I get about +-12v out. I have checked the wiring, and it seems correct. I measured the no load voltage of the transformer, it is almost 20 volts. Is it possible there could be that much voltage sag? What can I check?
-Adam

Adam M. said:
I don't think so... It is just a surplus wall transformer that spits out 15VAC. A moment of weakness from allelectronics.com http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=ACTX-152&type=store

I don't see any way it could be 15-0-15.

So everything is OK , what you have is 12 X2 = 24 volts.

You don't have + - 12 volts relative to ground , for that you must use a transformer with middle point.

In your case , you must not use the caps in series but in parallel because there are no middle point ground.

What voltage you need for your amp?...Only one rail or a negative and positive rail referenced both to ground?

I see with respect to the voltage now...
I am using an LM1875, so I need a +- rail. I planned on using the middle point between the caps as the ground reference for the circuit, and keeping the "ground" seperate from actual ground, since it doesn't sit at 0v. What would the schematic for a series connection of the caps look like, and can you give a brief description of the theory?

THe last amp I built used a 25v + 25V transformer, the only difference between that circuit and this one is the reference to 0v directly on the transformer. How does this affect things in comparison to what I am working on now?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.