LM338 regulated snubberized PSU for audio amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
it does both.
the extra R creates an RC filter that removes some of the ripple on the first cap.
The rectifier sees one cap to charge and a resistor in series with another cap. The rectifier thus sees a smaller load and supplies less current.

But,
the first cap suffers more ripple current than when the R is omitted. It must be selected to be able to survive this demanding position.

The last set of caps (after the R) supplies almost all of the transient current demand of the following stages. These will determine the sound quality and bass/mid performance. Size them accordingly.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
it does both.
the extra R creates an RC filter that removes some of the ripple on the first cap.
The rectifier sees one cap to charge and a resistor in series with another cap. The rectifier thus sees a smaller load and supplies less current.

But,
the first cap suffers more ripple current than when the R is omitted. It must be selected to be able to survive this demanding position.

The last set of caps (after the R) supplies almost all of the transient current demand of the following stages. These will determine the sound quality and bass/mid performance. Size them accordingly.

Andrew if i remove the R, i dont will loose power that are disipated in this R. You think that is better to use that R? I was thinking about use an Soft Start or something like that instead that R.

c2 can benefit from being ten to 20 times larger.

The pulses charging the smoothing cap are connected to the clean ground and will pulse this ground giving a pulsing output from the regulator which is referenced to that now contaminated clean ground.
The smoothing cap must be connected to the output not strung though the clean ground.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.