LM338 regulated snubberized PSU for audio amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I "snubberized" this regulator board i made before.

it has a (optional) tracking preregulator but that would be more for when it was used with less powerful regulators for a preamp supply.

maybe ill make a short version that follows the snubberized supply exactly. the board is one sided and has no bypasses.

Attachments

• regulator1.jpg
    regulator1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,225
It was left over from a board that has 3 regulators on it working in parrallel for 15 amp output . you need a very small value "ballast" resistor to even the outputs of the regulators (much like the way parrallel amps have a resistor)

anyways i left part of it in on this board because i want to see if there is any difference with the sense resistor for the preregulator before or after that. if it has an adverse effect just being there it can be shorted out with a heavier wire

the 15 amp regulator was going to be for a BPA200 type amp but the last carlosfm (big cap) PSU convinced me i did not need one (3886 is fine!)

Re: Nice boards!

mwmkravchenko said:
Nice boards idefixes !
How are they coming along? I read that they were going to be checked out for errors. I'd be happy to help if it is still needed.
Or if they are good could you e-mail me a copy?

Mark

They need to be checkked and correct. I will reroot them under eagle. When they are Ok i will share them

Marc

yesgrey3 said:
carlosfm,

Can you tell me or could you arrange me the phone number of the store in Cacem where you buy the Philips components?

Sorry, I don't have their phone number.
But they are open at saturdays, all day.
It's very easy, it's on the main street, in a small shopping mall (Bons amigos).

yesgrey3 said:
I have tryed several stores but they only have components with very strange names...

:D :D :D :D

LM3886 versions; Transformer query

Dear Carlos,

Is the version of the LM3886 amp that "Bob" put in the thread as post #47 the version that you would use with the NON-Regulated, high capacitance, snubberized power supply?

(My transformers only provide about 26V * 2 on the secondary windings, so they probably would not have enough voltage for a version of the regulated PSU, if I understand your schematic correctly. The transformer runs to about 450 VA though.

Also, the centre tap on the secondary of my transformers is just a single wire. Would that also stop me making a regulated PSU as in your schematic, or is that not a problem? Too late at night, and I think this is getting out of my electronics knowledge depth to work it out on my own. Sorry.)

Regards,
George.

Carlos - also while you are at it

Dear Carlos,

Also, have you ever posted a list of the brands and "series" of parts you are actually using for both your PSU's and Chip amps? If so, could you point me to the thread please?

I would guess that many parts, e.g. large electrolytic capacitors, vary significantly between manufacturers and types, and that your highly tuned snubbers and bypasses would suit your "favourite" capacitors, etc.

I have spent about 2 hours and gone back 35 pages of threads, each of 50 threads, and not come across it (but it was at work, and I have learned a lot in the meantime!) :D

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,
GeorgeBoles

neutron7 said:
I "snubberized" this regulator board i made before.

it has a (optional) tracking preregulator but that would be more for when it was used with less powerful regulators for a preamp supply.

maybe ill make a short version that follows the snubberized supply exactly. the board is one sided and has no bypasses.

May i get the eagle files for this please ?

Also, have you ever posted a list of the brands and "series" of parts you are actually using for both your PSU's and Chip amps?

I get many similar requests for shopping lists for projects on Decibel Dungeon. I did supply a shopping list for the original basic Gainclone but this attracted as many questions as I hoped it would prevent!

As these type of lists are only really applicable to the country they were drawn up in, they would need to be repeated for each different country. Even if Carlos wanted to go to the trouble of listing what he uses and where he buys it, it would probably cause disappointment to those that couldn't source those exact same components.

What would be useful, is when somebody actually builds something that they read about on diyAudio, that they post a list of parts that they used, and where they purchased them.

Of cource, choice of parts like capacitors is not only a personal taste, but also dependent on the rest of the system so specific recommendations are often only of academic interest! ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.