Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2005, 06:16 AM   #1
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default BrianGT Snubberized Boards finished

Well, I finished my BrianGT board-based snubberized Gainclone, having gutted my Not Your Mommy's GainClone (pics deleted and moved; now shown with both old and new pics here).

Link To Image

I gotta say, I thought I had something original and unique in my 1st version, lots of lights, differential reciver, more caps than typical, ultra low noise rectifiers. Now I feel like I've sold out, like Metallica's Black album, like Van Halen 1984, Bon Jovi after Slippery When Wet, you know what I mean. I've got the same boards as everyone else and you know what...

Its better, way better. Bass and LF response, good power delivery and the high end is very similar. Crisp but not overly bright. No HF rolloff. But this sounds like a real amp, puts out power you can feel in the seatcushions (unlike the prior version).

Took a lot more time than I thought to rip this apart and rebuild it but in the end I think it was worth it.

I used some Nichicon UPW low ESR caps (now available at Mouser) instead of the typical Panasonic FC's, and otherwise pretty plain components other than the 4 Elna 10,000 uF filter caps . Still, I'm happy and wouldn't change it. Even if I knew how to hook up a proper star ground (or is is grounds?) and how to actually use all the diodes. I also had to mount some stuff underneath the boards to use the brass bars that press the chip to the heatsink.
(To see the evolution of this amp click Here.)
Old 19th April 2005, 02:01 PM   #2
homer09 is offline homer09  Canada
diyAudio Member

im simply impressed this thing works
Old 19th April 2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Banned

Default Re: BrianGT Snubberized Boards finished

Quote:
Originally posted by lgreen
Its better, way better.
So... besides that Counting Crows album, do you agree with me on this one too?
Old 19th April 2005, 03:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default agreeing with Carlos

Quote:
So... besides that Counting Crows album, do you agree with me on this one too?
Yes, I knew you would bring this up! (I didn't say "never" did I?)

Quote:
im simply impressed this thing works
It works great. Just like the last one. Looks like a big mess-o-wires don't it? Actually looks messier than the prior version for some reason. Tried to make it look good on the inside and this was the best I could do.
Old 19th April 2005, 03:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: agreeing with Carlos

Quote:

It works great. Just like the last one. Looks like a big mess-o-wires don't it? Actually looks messier than the prior version for some reason. Tried to make it look good on the inside and this was the best I could do.

two things you could do to clean up things inside is twist opposite polarity wires together (much cleaner and easier than tie wraps you are using now) and shorten lengths to minimal needs. should also improve noise regection.
Old 19th April 2005, 04:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
twist opposite polarity wires together (much cleaner and easier than tie wraps you are using now)
Actually, many of the wires are twisted, I just am very bad at doing this so I tie wrap them too. Serously, I have heard from posts around this board that DC wires are to be parallel and AC wires are to be twisted. So that's an additional "excuse" for not doing more twisting.
Old 19th April 2005, 04:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Serously, I have heard from posts around this board that DC wires are to be parallel and AC wires are to be twisted.
where did you see this? or can you explain the theory behind it? i don't see how it should hold for AC but not DC.

Hide this!Advertise here!