BrianGT Snubberized Boards finished

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I finished my BrianGT board-based snubberized Gainclone, having gutted my Not Your Mommy's GainClone (pics deleted and moved; now shown with both old and new pics here).

Link To Image

I gotta say, I thought I had something original and unique in my 1st version, lots of lights, differential reciver, more caps than typical, ultra low noise rectifiers. Now I feel like I've sold out, like Metallica's Black album, like Van Halen 1984, Bon Jovi after Slippery When Wet, you know what I mean. I've got the same boards as everyone else and you know what...

Its better, way better. Bass and LF response, good power delivery and the high end is very similar. Crisp but not overly bright. No HF rolloff. But this sounds like a real amp, puts out power you can feel in the seatcushions (unlike the prior version).

Took a lot more time than I thought to rip this apart and rebuild it but in the end I think it was worth it.

I used some Nichicon UPW low ESR caps (now available at Mouser) instead of the typical Panasonic FC's, and otherwise pretty plain components other than the 4 Elna 10,000 uF filter caps . Still, I'm happy and wouldn't change it. Even if I knew how to hook up a proper star ground (or is is grounds?) and how to actually use all the diodes. I also had to mount some stuff underneath the boards to use the brass bars that press the chip to the heatsink.
(To see the evolution of this amp click Here.)

agreeing with Carlos

So... besides that Counting Crows album, do you agree with me on this one too?

Yes, I knew you would bring this up! (I didn't say "never" did I?)

im simply impressed this thing works

It works great. Just like the last one. Looks like a big mess-o-wires don't it? Actually looks messier than the prior version for some reason. Tried to make it look good on the inside and this was the best I could do.

Re: agreeing with Carlos

lgreen said:

It works great. Just like the last one. Looks like a big mess-o-wires don't it? Actually looks messier than the prior version for some reason. Tried to make it look good on the inside and this was the best I could do.

two things you could do to clean up things inside is twist opposite polarity wires together (much cleaner and easier than tie wraps you are using now) and shorten lengths to minimal needs. should also improve noise regection.

twist opposite polarity wires together (much cleaner and easier than tie wraps you are using now)

Actually, many of the wires are twisted, I just am very bad at doing this so I tie wrap them too. Serously, I have heard from posts around this board that DC wires are to be parallel and AC wires are to be twisted. So that's an additional "excuse" for not doing more twisting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.